16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: No more butts on the beach? ? ?  (Read 5895 times)

reefs

No more butts on the beach? ? ?
« on: December 19, 2007, 06:15:53 PM »

A mechanical rake could soon begin flicking cigarette butts off the beach.

The Tourist Development Council is expected to work with Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach on buying the $81,681 surf rake to begin cleaning up the beaches before the April start of turtle nesting season.

The 7-foot-wide rake with spring-loaded tines like stainless steel fingers, flicks cigarette butts, broken glass, plastic, bottle caps and other small debris into a hopper pulled behind a tractor, leaving pristine sand in its wake.

Certain areas of the beach will be targeted, particularly around Minutemen Causeway and the Pier -- areas that normally attract the most people and, hence, the most trash.

The tourism council will meet today to consider funding one-third of the cost of the mechanical rake, which was already recommended by the council's beach improvement
committee. Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach would also chip in $27,227 each.

"It will probably be approved," said development council executive director Rob Varley, noting that the tourism board also funds beach cleanup to the tune of $130,000 through Keep Brevard Beautiful.

Cocoa and Cape Canaveral still must give final approval to the purchase, but officials from both cities said it would be a formality once the tourism council agrees to chip in.

"I believe we have a consensus," Cape Canaveral council member Buzz Petsos said.

Both cities would have trained crews operate the rake, which only could be used when turtles are not nesting, between November and April. A permit from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was required, but because the cleaning will be done during the turtles' off-months, more rigorous testing and monitoring were not required.

The rake, however, must stay away from the dunes and areas with vegetation.

"We'd like to get it out there and use it a couple of times before turtle season," Cocoa Beach Mayor Skip Beeler said.

The idea of the beach rake gained momentum more than a year ago when the Cocoa Beach City Commission sought ways to keep the beach free of cigarette butts. Other areas of Florida have grappled with the same problem, but few have to concern themselves with turtle nesting. Brevard's beaches are the largest nesting site in the Western Hemisphere for loggerheads.

The Cocoa commission put a proposed ban on beach smoking before voters, but that was rejected in November 2006. Last year, Cocoa Beach put out trash cans and bags for discarding cigarette butts on the beach, but that only made a minor dent and workers still had to be sent out to clean up the trash.

Cocoa Beach resident Valerie Forsyth said she believes the problem with trash on the beach requires a safe and efficient way of cleaning.

"I think we definitely need it," she said.

Cocoa Beach City Manager Chuck Billias said, "That's all we're after, cigarette butts."

There was supposed to be a meeting today...anybody have any updates?

Pegasus

• Ancient Psycho
Re: No more butts on the beach? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 08:17:18 PM »

Yea this thing wont do a damn thing up here @ 2nd North.
I have adopted this beach and pick Butts up constantly.
The rake will help around those heavy use areas. But(t) one of the problems is the season. The rake cannot be used at the height of the tourist season due to Turtles.
Ban smoking on the beach was the best solution.
2nd north gets all the overflow from Coconuts....Fuckers... I found a big mess in the parking lot where some Homo from Orlando emptyed his car, Ashtrays and all.
I found his Paycheck stub and emailed his boss pics of the crap he dumped.

jt

• Administrator
  • :-)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:04:19 AM »

Ban smoking on the beach was the best solution.
2nd north gets all the overflow from Coconuts....Fuckers... I found a big mess in the parking lot where some Homo from Orlando emptyed his car, Ashtrays and all.
I found his Paycheck stub and emailed his boss pics of the crap he dumped.

ouch, the parking lot though??? thats littering. we dont need new laws, they need to enforce the ones there (esp at busy establishments like coconuts). shit, i dont smoke and i could go to cocoanuts and dump my shit out in the parking lot. I seen people do that on the streets. its littterrrrring. smokers or not.

on littering: IF I see something on the beach i just pick it up on my way back up. People drive on our beach, so.... smoking??? i mean come'on, they should be fined for littering like anything else.  I see a lot more other shit usually here cuz people drive and bring shit to the beach, its ridiculous. ... go down to miami beach where the sand looks like a real ashtray, our beaches look pristine in comparison.

shadow

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »

I love the argument "enforce existing laws, don't make new ones"

If you really give it some thought though it does not hold water.

Enforcing litter laws (especially on the beach) is tricky because you could always say you were going to come back and pick it up.
I've been in the situation myself where I'm wondering "Are these people going to come back for their stuff they left?" 

Of course they usually don't but they could always say they were going to.

Bigger stuff (litter) can be picked up but ciggareet butts?  They're pretty small.

About enforcing the laws......

Now if a cop walks up to the boardwalk and sees smoke coming from somebody standing on the beach that's pretty easy to spot and enforce but if a cop has to wait to see if the person disposes of the ciggarret properly that will probably take a little more effort and then (I'll reiterate the argument) the person smoking could always say they were going to come back and pick it up.

There will (probably) come a day when smoking will be illeagle (spelling?) on the beach and that unfortunatley will come at the expense of everyone else in that they will probably ban all things that are disposable.

They've done it other places.

We already can't bring glass or dogs to the beach because people don't know how to act here in brevard so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

I haven't been to Miami lately but I've been to the pier and coconuts and they are both pretty digusting although both establishments do send their employees out to pick litter up daily.  (Maybe not daily but pretty often)

I've given this issue a bunch of thought and I completely respect everyone elses point of view but I have my own that I'm sticking to.

Peas...

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 07:40:30 PM »

I love the argument "enforce existing laws, don't make new ones"

If you really give it some thought though it does not hold water.

Enforcing litter laws (especially on the beach) is tricky because you could always say you were going to come back and pick it up.
I've been in the situation myself where I'm wondering "Are these people going to come back for their stuff they left?" 

Of course they usually don't but they could always say they were going to.

Bigger stuff (litter) can be picked up but ciggareet butts?  They're pretty small.

About enforcing the laws......

Now if a cop walks up to the boardwalk and sees smoke coming from somebody standing on the beach that's pretty easy to spot and enforce but if a cop has to wait to see if the person disposes of the ciggarret properly that will probably take a little more effort and then (I'll reiterate the argument) the person smoking could always say they were going to come back and pick it up.

There will (probably) come a day when smoking will be illeagle (spelling?) on the beach and that unfortunatley will come at the expense of everyone else in that they will probably ban all things that are disposable.

They've done it other places.

We already can't bring glass or dogs to the beach because people don't know how to act here in brevard so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

I haven't been to Miami lately but I've been to the pier and coconuts and they are both pretty digusting although both establishments do send their employees out to pick litter up daily.  (Maybe not daily but pretty often)

I've given this issue a bunch of thought and I completely respect everyone elses point of view but I have my own that I'm sticking to.

Peas...

I see what your saying, banning smoking period is tough too because if there is another law made, theyre gonna have to enforce it too, and you said so yourself... most of the time its hard to do.

I try not to get mad now and just pick the shit up and hope that there are more people like me doing their part as well. idk...

hey, at least they banned fireworks on the beach down there. I remember cleaning up all those fireworks at 12th a few years in a row.. now that was ridiculous. (the fireworks were cool, horrible aftermath)

shadow

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 08:23:42 PM »

huh??? 

I think you totally missed my point.

They should absolutely make smoking those turds on the beach illeagle(<---I still can't spell that word lol).

What I said was "if a cop walks up to the boardwalk and sees smoke coming from somebody standing on the beach that's pretty easy to spot and enforce but if a cop has to wait to see if the person disposes of the ciggarret properly that will probably take a little more effort and then (I'll reiterate the argument) the person smoking could always say they were going to come back and pick it up."

It would be REAL easy to enforce and I'm all for it. 

If I walk over to the beach with a (glass) bottle beer I take my chances on getting a ticket.   Smokers could do the same.

I'm personally sick of picking those things up.

Butt I still do it.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »

huh??? 

I think you totally missed my point.

They should absolutely make smoking those turds on the beach illeagle(<---I still can't spell that word lol).

ouch this is a touchy subject. i didnt miss your point (just merely adding my thoughts, not trying to  :swordfight:;)).

*banning smoking on the beach, and or ban everything disposible*.

I see your side, I wasnt trying to regurgitate your info.  So make everything but your boardshorts banned, so it will be easier to enforce. I get that. Id be happy if cars werent on the beach, much less cig butts. I think enforcement for littering in general will still be an issue regardless.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 09:36:41 AM by jt »

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 09:39:11 AM »

illegal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hiding:
hehehehehe

btw - the grater / catcher thing would be cool if it didnt interrupt widlife and wasnt an eyesore at the beach. But is there really a call for this? Is there an efficient cleanup alternative? I guess you guys are right, banning cigs is the most efficient cleanup. But private parking lots and all that, thats another matter imo. It just sucks that people just dont give a fuck and we have to make up rules to protect people from themselves...gah

OK im done with this, have a lovely day all.. :D

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 09:49:48 AM by jt »

Pegasus

• Ancient Psycho
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 04:41:15 PM »

I just spent a hour picking beer cans and butts off the beach.
Do it everyday and see how you feel.
Asswipes fuckin up my beach.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 01:13:05 PM »

I just spent a hour picking beer cans and butts off the beach.
Do it everyday and see how you feel.
Asswipes fuckin up my beach.

its all beaches and I do pickup, cant get pissed tho, stupid people are everywhere (and i know they flock to CB from OIA), from soda cans to plastic oil cans even.... add about 50 cars here at NSB on the weekend too when its nice out, ya get all kinds of junk

later...

shadow

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »

shadow

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 08:51:28 AM »

What a complete waist of time and money cigaretts are.

You don't get high but you get yellow teeth, yellow fingers, bad breath and sometimes...........cancer.

Great.

Oh and you get to stand in line at the inconvenience store and have the old "Hard Pack?"  or "Soft Pack?" conversation.

I love that one.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 08:31:50 PM »

Nonsmokers donít like kissing smokers. makes your skin age faster too.

and the shits expensive at a pack a day... a pack a day = 1000$ /yr ....that could finance part of a surf trip.

RoosterJaws

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 10:26:15 AM »

Now that some funny shiat right there !!!! :blowup:

Pegasus

• Ancient Psycho
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 05:36:59 AM »

The beach is starting to really get fucked up here in the North Streets.
The season is here....everyday...Butts, beer cans, and Fast food shit.
The sad thing is it will never end. The turtle nesting is about to start and the beach rake cannot be used.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up