16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Justin DeBree (Stand Up Paddle Board - WSCF) - Guinness Book of World Records  (Read 4539 times)

Aloha_FL

• Aloha & God Bless \m/
  • Global Moderator
  • www.NKFsurf.com
    • NKFsurf

Standing up Against Skin Cancer On the morning of June 19th, 2008, Cocoa Beach resident Justin DeBree will embark on a challenging 18 day journey from Key Biscayne, FL up the East Coast to St. Mary's, Georgia. The expedition's goal is to raise money and awareness while promoting the World Skin Cancer Foundation's mission. The grueling 398 mile long journey will be done entirely on a stand up paddle board. Justin is 27 years old and is a Territory Manager for DeWALT Industrial Power Tools & a volunteer for the World Skin Cancer Foundation. Justin has been stand up paddle boarding every day for the past year in preparation for this journey and is eagerly awaiting this challenge.

All monies raised will assist us in providing free skin cancer screenings around the world.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 09:06:08 AM by Aloha_FL »

Aloha_FL

• Aloha & God Bless \m/
  • Global Moderator
  • www.NKFsurf.com
    • NKFsurf

The World Skin Cancer Foundation intends to reach people who will most benefit from our message: people who are active in the outdoors, especially young people. Our campaign will focus on educating children and young people, as well as their parents and caregivers, about the dangers of unprotected exposure to the sun. While our focus is on young people, other members of the public will also hear and benefit from our message. Our message will not be that people should sit indoors all day. Instead, we will teach awareness of the effects of the sun's ultraviolet rays. We will educate people to use the correct tools and strategies to enjoy the outdoors safely. We will promote the use of umbrellas and canopies to provide outdoor shaded areas.

To accomplish our goals, the Foundation will distribute literature and create classroom programs. We intend to create UV Awareness signs to be placed at beach ramps. We will spread our message through signs, newspapers, magazines, radio, television, and sports activities. Local doctors have agreed to provide free skin cancer screenings at our events. We have received initial offers of support from sports figures who will help get the message out. Our educational and fundraising activities will involve outdoor sports and hobbies, such as surfing, fishing, golf, soccer, baseball, softball,tennis, skateboarding and volleyball. To successfully reach young people, we want to keep the fun in our announcements, activities and fundraisers. We do not want to frighten young people away from outdoor activities; we want to encourage them to enjoy those activities in a safe manner.

The message of the Foundation is "Enjoy the outdoors safely. Protect yourself from sun damage." More concisely, the message is "BE UV AWARE". If we can keep our message and activities fun, we will have a greater impact on all ages. The problem with the ozone layer is not going away. Nevertheless, through healthy habits and proper protection, people who are outdoors can substantially decrease their risk of skin cancer. We believe we can educate people, and help them to safely enjoy outdoor activities the rest of their lives. We look forward to success in reaching our goals. 

Aloha_FL

• Aloha & God Bless \m/
  • Global Moderator
  • www.NKFsurf.com
    • NKFsurf

June 19th, 2008 I will be using my entire time off from work to Stand Up Paddling the entire state of Florida in order to raise money for the World Skin Cancer Foundation. Furthermore, I will be donating my entire salary for everyday I am paddling to the foundation. 100% of the money raised will go directly to the World Skin Cancer Foundation to help the cause to fight skin cancer. What I love about the World Skin Cancer Foundation is that they encourage people to have fun outside doing the activities they love, but teach people how to do it safely. The rigorous world record breaking 398 mile journey, completed all by myself, in consecutive days, all on a stand up paddle board, will present many challenging emotional and physical factors. Over the past couple months I have been training and paddling hard in preparation. As the date gets close, my training is going to get more intense. My motivation is knowing that I am making a difference, and with your support you can make a difference too! I am calling out to each of you, as residents of earth, to make a difference. Help support me, and lets make STAND UP to Skin Cancer. Every little bit helps, and it doesn't have to be financially. Please spread the word! Thank you to the generosity already shown!

Stand Up Paddle Board
Stand up paddle surfing, or SUP, is a surface water sport, a variant of surfing where the surfer uses a paddle to move through the water while standing on a surfboard. Stand up paddle surfing is derived from its Polynesian roots. The Hawaiian translation is Ku Hoe Heʻe Nalu; to stand, to paddle, to surf, a wave. The popularity of the modern sport of SUP has its origination in the Hawaiian Islands.[1] In the early 1960s the Beach Boys of Waikiki would stand on their long boards and paddle out with outrigger paddles to take pictures of the tourists learning to surf. This is where the term "Beach Boy Surfing" originates, another name for Stand Up Paddle Surfing. In the early 2000s Hawaiian surfers such as Dave Kalama, Brian Keaulana, Archie Kalepa and Laird Hamilton started SUP as an alternative way to train while the surf was down. As the years went on they found themselves entering events such as the Moloka'i to O'ahu Paddleboard Race and Mākaha's Big Board Surfing Classic. Now you can find Stand Up Paddle Surfers in many of the Outrigger and Paddleboard races as participants within their own division. One difference between the modern idea of surfing and SUP is that the latter does not need a wave. In SUP, one can paddle on the open ocean, in harbors, on lakes, rivers or any large body of water. One of the advantages of Stand Up Paddle Surfing is the angle of visibility. Because of the standing height over the water one can see both deeper into the water and further across the surface of the water, allowing better visualization of features others lower above the water may not be able to see, whether it is the marine life in the harbors, lakes and coves or the incoming swells of the ocean marching on the horizon.

Trip Details
Justin will be departing from Key Biscayne, FL on June 19th. On that very day Justin will have the Guinness Book of World Records with watching from a boat, as he will be attempting to break the most distance traveled in 24 hours on a stand up paddle board. Justinís goal is to complete 35 miles each day- all under the power of only a paddle, and completed while standing up and balancing on a board. It is difficult to forecast port calls because there are many different factors that come into the equation such as wave height, wind, currents, weather, etc. If conditions are favorable, Justin will stay out longer and continue paddling up the coast. While Justin is paddling, he will be followed by various boats with banners flying to alert people and to inform people beachside what Justin is doing. Justin will be equipped with a Garmin Colorado waterproof GPS on his board to track & monitor his journey. He will also be equipped with full sun protection from the feet up, as well as a camelback hydration system. The destination is St. Maryís, Georgia with the arrival date of July 4th.

Justinís Dedications
Everyday Justin is paddling he will be dedicating the day to someone directly affected by Skin Cancer. He will place a picture on his board, and paddle his heart out for that affected person and their family. If you would like to submit a dedication, please send an email, background info, & picture to info@worldskincancerfoundation.org

Justinís Journey Sponsors
www.DeWALT.com
www.BlackandDecker.com
www.kialoa.com
Jobbeedu protective wear
www.Brighthousenetworks.com
www.lowes.com
Gawlik Graphiks & Media

http://www.worldskincancerfoundation.com/justinsjourney.php

Aloha_FL

• Aloha & God Bless \m/
  • Global Moderator
  • www.NKFsurf.com
    • NKFsurf

I don't personally know Justin, but what an amazing guy in his effort to help raise money for WSCF.  I accidently found his sight while posting to LongNeck.  I wish him luck and pray for his safety while undertaking this journey  :angel1

KUDOS to ya & God Bless   :clap :clap :clap

shadow

• Administrator

Justin's a funny bastard.

I heard he's been paddling like a son of a bitch to get ready.

He's a member on here so maybe he'll grace us with a post. :flamethrower:

nuttjelly

• Lizard Lover

Good on him, but I hope he does not get the Guinness Book Record, because it's hell when you have spend the rest of the time proving it.

So where can you make a small donation? Too late?

jt

• Administrator
  • :-)

damn thats longer than the guy who kiteboard'ed from miami to cuba.

racewave

• grom

Justin got a first place finish in the SUP class last year at the Blasa Bills race, he is proven fast and capable of what he plans to do, the only thing that could go wrong at this point would be the weather conditions.

ccb_dan

• has something to sell you!
  • I'm too old to appreciate modern surfing

Right on Justin.  Have a blast and be safe!

Aloha_FL

• Aloha & God Bless \m/
  • Global Moderator
  • www.NKFsurf.com
    • NKFsurf

There is a donate here button on the left side of this page:

http://www.worldskincancerfoundation.com/justinsjourney.php

Thank you so much for your help! Any and all help is highly appreciated.

Best,
Kate
WSCF

shadow

• Administrator

bump.  justins coming through town soon.  good on ya mate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up