16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 55   Go Down

Author Topic: off-road Biking  (Read 47806 times)

RoosterJaws

Re: off-road Biking
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »

Theres the bum trails behind the Melb Courthouse.  I still have my bike from college.  Shitload of trails in Tallahassee.  Not
sure if Im in shape enough to negotiate any trail right now though, I get tired riding it to da beach !!!!
I've heard of those trails, where are they at exactly? the court house off sarno right?

Yes, just park at the courthouse and the trails are directly across from it, between there and the Ford dealership.  Just cross the
RR tracks and you'll find them.  BEWARE there are bums in there, just leave them alone and they wont mess with you.  The last time
I was in there they basically had a small city going up in there !!!  Ill go..

RoosterJaws

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 07:55:47 AM »

econ, snow hill road is fun, but Ocala-Belleview santos trail head is the bomb for FL> 20 plus miles of networked trails......very fun and color coded for levels of experience.  I'm ready.
Dude we should set up a ride for when it's flat. I've ridden santos before and it's a blast

we were going like twice a month for a while. Even if it's hot the entire place is under a massive oak canopy. Get there by 8 AM ride till noon, then a beer lunch. That's a full day. Good thing about this place is, it's hard packed not too much sugar sand. And I know a few FAST tracks on the back 40 that are REAL fun. Maybe we should plan a run up there.

You had me up until 8am  :eek:  but NO sugar sand is a plus.  Ill meet you all for the beer lunch !!!!

shreaded

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 07:56:34 AM »

here's a place in tampa my friend swear by, if ur evern in the area:

Morris Bridge park

Miles & miles of premo single track. A challenging mixture of trails crossing three distinct ecosystems.There are ‘high ground’ trails of hard packed dirt, and some sand. All with plenty of shade from pine and scrub oak trees. Approximately 20% of the trails transverse this ecosystem, typical of a central Florida forest. These trails are very scenic, and are beginner and intermediate level trails.

Running up the center of the park is the ‘mid ground’. These trails are all hard pack dirt, heavily shaded by Oak, Sugar & Red Maple, and Palmetto Palms. Gorgeous scenery, but you are usually too busy concentrating on the trail ahead to see much. Some of the faster runs are here. Comprising approximately 40% of the trail system, these are intermediate level.

Running adjacent to the Hillsborough River and Cow House Creek are the ‘low lands’ (read swamp). Depending on the season, this area transforms from soft pack dirt to muck, with all the beauty and mystery of a tropical rain forest. These will be your most technical runs. There are numerous logs to navigate over or around, and closely spaced trees ready to snag a bar-end or pedal. About 20% of the park’s trails are these low lands. These trails will be closed during the wet season to protect the environmentally sensitive ground and plant life.

The most technical riding is in the crossover area between the mid & low ground. The soft ground has long since washed away from the base of the trees, leaving the roots exposed. The roots are of various diameters, running at all angles across the path. A rider may travel many feet, moving from root to root without touching terra ferma. The trails weave between the closely spaced trees, often allowing only inches clearance on either side of your bar.

Definitely technical runs, requiring a delicate balance of finesse and brute strength. These most challenging trails may only account for 20% of your distance traveled, but probably 50% of your time.

One more thing: “you will get lost”.

nuttjelly

• Lizard Lover
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 07:59:35 AM »

been there ^^ , Belleview is the PRIMO Florida spot to ride, because of the undulating terrain.

RoosterJaws

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 07:59:50 AM »

Is it close to Mons Venus ?   

Stoop

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 08:00:02 AM »

econ, snow hill road is fun, but Ocala-Belleview santos trail head is the bomb for FL> 20 plus miles of networked trails......very fun and color coded for levels of experience.  I'm ready.
Dude we should set up a ride for when it's flat. I've ridden santos before and it's a blast

we were going like twice a month for a while. Even if it's hot the entire place is under a massive oak canopy. Get there by 8 AM ride till noon, then a beer lunch. That's a full day. Good thing about this place is, it's hard packed not too much sugar sand. And I know a few FAST tracks on the back 40 that are REAL fun. Maybe we should plan a run up there.
Let's hit up santos sometime in July 2nd or 3rd weekend? Rooster, thill, shreaded, you wanna go too?

Stoop

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 08:01:41 AM »

Theres the bum trails behind the Melb Courthouse.  I still have my bike from college.  Shitload of trails in Tallahassee.  Not
sure if Im in shape enough to negotiate any trail right now though, I get tired riding it to da beach !!!!
I've heard of those trails, where are they at exactly? the court house off sarno right?

Yes, just park at the courthouse and the trails are directly across from it, between there and the Ford dealership.  Just cross the
RR tracks and you'll find them.  BEWARE there are bums in there, just leave them alone and they wont mess with you.  The last time
I was in there they basically had a small city going up in there !!!  Ill go..
cool thanks.  I let you know when I'm going will probably be a weekend

shreaded

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 08:02:18 AM »

Is it close to Mons Venus ?   

close enough man!!!

RoosterJaws

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 08:02:28 AM »

Possibly.. I dont have my schedule yet for work & I need to get my ride tuned up for the mission, my derailer is messed up.

RoosterJaws

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 08:03:20 AM »

nuttjelly

• Lizard Lover
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 08:03:55 AM »

Let's hit up santos sometime in July 2nd or 3rd weekend? Rooster, thill, shreaded, you wanna go too?

I'll go.....shreded is a shit talker and will never show.

PS: I know that 20 miles of trail very well so no worries on getting lost, there are maps at the trail head too.

Also--Helmets are mandatory FYI

shreaded

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 08:06:20 AM »

yes, i am, but i'll give it a try. i don't bike, and will prob be outta gas super early, but WTF

Walker D

• pe-exam.com
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 09:05:48 AM »

There is a place called Ulamay in Merritt Island supposed to be miles of trails out there.

thill25

• Get in the car, Junior.
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 09:33:50 AM »

We'll (wife and I) will go if we are in town. Thought about going to Georgia for the long weekend, but I haven't set that in stone.

nuttjelly

• Lizard Lover
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 10:03:08 AM »

Guess I'll start tuning up the beast!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 55   Go Up