16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clean Water  (Read 1345 times)

Pegasus

• Ancient Psycho
Clean Water
« on: October 29, 2008, 05:19:57 PM »

We are spinning up. Surfrider of Cocoa Beach needs input and support to accomplish our goals.
Please let us know if you want to help, advise or just give a opinion. Chime in here. We will have website (website is a whole discussion in it self) BLOG functionality shortly.

:flamethrower: Ever wonder if the gambling boats are just shitting us ?  :flamethrower: Remember TS Fay's contribution ?

Initiative; Clean Water
•   Water quality and port pollution
After the passing of Florida’s Clean Oceans Act, there needs to be a monitoring program put in place to ensure our areas clean water. To ensure that gambling vessels are not discharging pollutants into our local environment.

Water Testing will also support the ability to get data after significant storm water events, Hurricane /Tropical Storm.

Maturation of programs may help to identify and understand source points of pollution in our watershed.

Program Blue Water Task force
•   Develop waste system verification methodology to ensure Clean Ocean Act adherence by gambling boats operating out of Port Canaveral.

•   Develop water quality testing rational and methodology. Best practices based on cost and protocol.

Program Ocean Friendly Gardens

•   Red Tide awareness /education project linking to Ocean Friendly Gardens.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 05:37:34 PM by Pegasus »

ccb_dan

• has something to sell you!
  • I'm too old to appreciate modern surfing
Re: Clean Water
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:37:56 AM »

Can we mount a cannon on the Pegasus and shoot rancid butter at the cruise ships?   ;D

Just kidding.  This is serious stuff.  We all spend a lot of time in the water, surfing, fishing and just plain living so we have to get on this and keep on it.  I know that our chapter has some folks with ocean engineering backgrounds so they would likely be the obvious choice to spearhead this stuff but I want to help out in any way I can.  What are some other needs as far as this effort goes?  I'd be happy to help drive around and collect samples for the engineering types to test.

todd

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:16:09 AM »

Excellent, that is exactly what we will need is a team of people to collect samples.. I will gladly take the water quality portion of this initiative under my wing, but since im an hour away, i cannot always be there to do the collecting ya know? 

In order to start a water quality program that is certifiable (needs to be very precise or else we cannot publish any of our results), we are definitely going to need some startup money.  I have found a bacterial coliform test kit that is simple to use and simple to quantify coliforms found.  It is EPA certified for marine testing and I have spoken with other USGS offices that have used it and said that this kit would be perfect for our needs. The kit is called enterolert, and is made by IDEXX.  It is testing for the presence of Enterococci Bacteria, which is found in intestines, which indicates that dumping is occuring...  Here is their website: http://www.idexx.com/water/enterolert/

The problem like I said is that it is not cheap.  They do however offer Surfrider discounts, as they supply many other chapters with equipment. The initial startup costs would run about 5000 dollars, which would include an incubator, a tray sealing machine that is used to prep the samples before incubation, and enough trays, solution and QC blanks to run 200 samples.  This means it will cost us approx 25 dollars per sample for analysis... However next year the cost will run about 5 dollars a sample since all the equipment has already been purchased..   In addition to the analysis needs, we will also need some sampling equipment ( some form of a weighted bottle sampler or Kemmner Sampler) and some basic lab stuff like gloves, goggles ect..

We may be able to find some or all of this stuff used for a fraction of the cost, So once we can figure out what kind of budget we are looking at, then we can start looking on ebay and some other used lab equipment sites..

equipment aside, The general idea of a water quality program which revolves around the cruise ships is to find good locations in the port... I would suggest finding 3 good sites to sample from.   The sites need to be very accessible and preferably towards the center of the waterway, sampling near the shoreline could produce false positives as water and pollutants tend to coagulate around structures..  the sites also need to be relatively free from direct inputs, like near a business, a restaurant, a marina..  we can tackle those kind of sites later after we confirm there is a problem in the port.  we basically need to sample in an unbiased area so we are getting an overall idea of port quality without a direct input skewing our data...

If and when we find that bacteria levels are high, we can then try to pinpoint their sources by sampling near alleged polluters...  also the plumes of bacteria filled water could be tracked via sampling areas such as inputs into the lagoon from the port and sampling beaches near the port like JP or Downs during incoming/outgoing tides.. 

roger

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:30:46 AM »

Todd nailed a bunch of good stuff, so I will just emphasize.

It is a worthwhile reason to raise funds. Make sure you include any media (the hilliard guy perhaps?) and county commission type folks on any training by certified folks or you will receive endless amounts of "stupid surfers don't know how to measure water samples."  I was shocked to hear people bad mouth Dr. Peter Barile on this same issue.

Look into what is already being done.  Do you trust it, and can it be improved?  Can you complement it? 

Look into what sea grants are available or what any other local education type institutions have planned or are already doing.

Spin up a series of "science projects" that can be done by school kids up to college level.  For example,

"Does tertiary-treated sediment affect sea life in a shallow water environment?" (already have shown the cigarette butts impact sand fleas)
"How much treated waste makes it to shore?"

echo

• Da Haole Sistah
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:15:26 AM »

does anybody remember WaveFest 2001 ?  good clean fun  :)  :-\  :(

Pegasus

• Ancient Psycho
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 06:31:27 AM »

Nice nice Todd. Sonn we will be over the admin stuff and will be burning through this issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up