16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cocoa Beach AND Seb. Inlet Chapters? Are both necessary?  (Read 1572 times)

lawless

Cocoa Beach AND Seb. Inlet Chapters? Are both necessary?
« on: December 01, 2008, 01:51:07 PM »

It seems like these two chapters overlap a huge amount and are feeding off of the same volunteer base.

From the few Surfrider meetings I've actually attended over the years, it seems the turnout was always pretty small, is having 2 chapters in the same 30 mile stretch spreading things thin or is there a focused effort to split up the territory to better attack local issues?

Seems like Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral have a shitload more issues to contend with than the areas say south of Patrick.

Was this the intent, to allow the Cocoa Beach members to focus more on their area?

Just curious as to the logistics behind it.

ccb_dan

• has something to sell you!
  • I'm too old to appreciate modern surfing
Re: Cocoa Beach AND Seb. Inlet Chapters? Are both necessary?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 02:02:13 PM »

Good question and a valid concern.  Tim will chime in I'm certain but in a nutshell I think you nailed it.  CB intends to focus on the issues that affect central and northern Brevard beaches (not to say we won't participate in the issues that affect the southern region).  The CB locals just really saw a need for some formal representation and cohesive, organization in order to make a difference in the streets, the port as well as up towards Playalinda and the Canaveral Seashore.  We even plan to keep tabs on the lagoon.

Just a point of interest, the CB chapter meetings have all had a minimum of 20 people (usually more) in attendance so I think the local community is behind it 100%.

roger

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 07:09:34 PM »

Speaking from the Sebastian Inlet side as a volunteer for a long time....

If you were a usual volunteer in 2006, you could have spent almost every single weekend doing something for Surfrider.  I know I saw Rick a bunch that year.  I'm so glad there is now a CB chapter to divvy up tasks.  There are around 19 to 20 chapters in California with around 800 miles of beach.  There are about 11-12 chapters in Florida with about 1,200 miles of beach.  We could chop up stats, population density, programs, current issues and whatnot all night, but it boils down to getting clear priorities aligned with issues pertinent to the local areas and having those local groups act on them.  I remember Rick and I discussing little satellite groups all over the county a while ago. 

These are volunteers working mostly from passion and not pocketbook.  If both are not necessary, I would guess you would see changes.  Personally, I'm always hoping to see any and all chapters going strong.  I've seen meetings here and in IRC with anywhere from 4 to 40.  Yet, where is the Indian River Chapter called out?  There are over 30 volunteer position requests listed on the Seb. Inlet Chapter website that cover this area.

Granted, there may be some initial questions to some about boundaries and responsibilities, but the new chapter is still emerging. I think you'll find things will firm up in the next year as all the people involved are trying to work toward a common goal.  We just need to get the word out and get people motivated over this entire region.

RoosterJaws

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »

With out getting too into detail on this.... We attended a SI meeting before we even started any idea
of a Cocoa Beach chapter.  Then we held a public meeting at the Cocoa Beach Surf Museum (were you there ?)
where members of the S.I. chapter also attended.  We held a vote to either become our own Chapter or a Sub Chapter
under the S.I. Chapter.  The vote was UNANIMOUS in favor of the Cocoa Bch Chapter.  I can email you the meeting minutes if
you want?  There are plenty of Cocoa Beach specific issues to support our own chapter, and at the same time free up the S.I.
members to focus on the issues down south. 

Pegasus

• Ancient Psycho
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:33:47 AM »

Very fair question Lawless. And appropriate at this stage of our Chapters evolution. I ask this question just about everyday, less now than in August.

:flamethrower: Overlap.
There is overlap. Media steams, News papers, Supported events all occur in the same general geographical area.

:flamethrower: Feeding off the same volunteer base.
  Interesting that we as a organizing committee have approx 50+ new members and 4 out of our 7 slated officers are new members.
The volunteer base is far more diversified than one might think. Starting a new chapter has uncovered volunteers that wanted a Cocoa Beach Chapter but had not joined Surfrider because of the lack of a Cocoa Beach Chapter Chapter. We had a large concern that a Cocoa Beach Chapter would strip volunteers from another chapter. It has proved otherwise, we have increased Surf rider membership.
Happily our meeting turn out has been avg 20+ persons. Cautious advise has mentioned that this has been seen before, large start then a dwindling number later. So far so good though
  Then there are the volunteers that are Sebastian inlet Chapter involved, some very energetic, but not energetic enough to drive up to Cocoa Beach for our meetings,and the same is true in the inverse, Cocoa Beach resisting going south. (The travel issue was thrown out as a driving issue to form a new chapter but in reality it has been one reason for our new members.)
 Of note, during the Sean and Skippy homie fest, 3 Chapters, Sebastian, Central Florida, and Cocoa Beach came together and supported that event. There maybe some that think competition for Surfrider resources will occur but again the opposite is happening .Competition for resources is really occurring across other environmental non profit and Governmental organized activities. Such as a  Ocean conservancy Cleanup, Life rolls on event and a Surf contest event at Sebastian inlet happening on the same day.

:flamethrower: Spreading Thin or Focused Effort

If you go to the National Website and take the time to look at the individual chapters you will find distinct differences. A chapter in Texas  (check out the board designs coming out of Texas, specifically the tail designs, cool !) is going to be different than the Washington D.C. Chapter, culture and environmental. Looking at southern California you see the close geographical location of Chapters. Probably many things driving this. The division of the Brevard County is making good sense based on our issues. The North Reach vs Mid Reach is a example of close regional issue that requires a whole different set of management methods. The capacity of a chapter to manage regional issues is important, It may be that we are spread too thin now and are beyond the capacity of one chapter to handle both sub aqueous regions.

Does 13th street have issues that require a 13th street chapter ?  The same logic prevails. Does the level of abstraction of the issues require closer management or activism to protect that 1 street coastal region ?

The logistics or argument/rational for forming a Cocoa Beach Chapter is valid so far.

Lawless this only scratches the surface of the dynamics of what our intended chapter is endeavoring. Please do not hesitate to contact any of our members to hear their voice. Our Chapter has many voices. The voices essentially is what our chapter is made of.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:54:18 AM by Pegasus »

lawless

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:59:33 AM »

I think my initial question was perceived as being critical or negative and that was not the intent at all. I was just wondering if there was a specific issue that facilitated the formation of a new chapter.

In my mind it makes sense, the Port, Cape Canaveral/Pier, Cocoa Beach have distinctly different problems than say Satellite Beach, IHB, Indialantic, Mel Beach, and a somewhat different beach user demographic.

When I lived in Cocoa Beach I would rarely go south of Patrick to surf and now, living in IHB, I rarely go north of Patrick to surf, so it makes sense as somewhat of a geographical dividing line for different chapters. It nicely coincides with where the topography of the ocean changes as well, with areas south of Patrick to Indialantic have coquina shelfs which bring up different issues and arguments for things such as dredge and fill projects and water quality issues.

So in my mind Cocoa Beach would be like the Port south to Patrick, and SI would be Patrick south to the Inlet then south of the Inlet would be IR.

Sadly, I'm not even a Surfrider member and haven't been active with Surfrider for a couple years now. Unfortunately my time is at a premium and my free time rarely coincides with events/meetings.

With that said, if you guys need any help in the web/graphics/design department feel free to hit me up. I'd be glad to help.

roger

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:46:22 PM »

you know Lawless, I have a free one year membership to give.  Even though you didn't reply to my vans pm question on the other site (it was sent as a serious inquiry, as I thought perhaps your phoresia and/or similar ties may have given you some insight into such knowledge), I still think you present a good voice across the forums. 

Are you really willing to try to attend some meetings (I don't care which chapter) or help out?  I know the CB guys are working on a website, but I bet they would greatly appreciate your help.  If so, it's yours. 

You should see the latest compsand I'm assembling. :)

lawless

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 12:55:51 AM »

I sent you a reply to your PM but going back and looking at my PM history it didn't get sent for some reason. Had links and all, but the gist of it is no, they are likely not produced in the US. They ended US production in 1995, and are now owned by VF Corp.

I would be willing to help out in my area of expertise (web design, graphic design). Unfortunately I don't have the time to commit to attend meetings or be really involved. I have a 6 month old and my wife works nights, so most of my side project stuff gets done late at night (like now it's midnight, and last night I was up until 2 working on stuff).  If they would like help on the web stuff have someone drop me an email at lawlessmedia@gmail.com and I'd be glad to help out however possible. Shadow can vouch for my skills, I've done some work for him and some of his projects.

A side note, me and IK from BiG actually designed the current site design that was originally used for the Central Florida chapter and is now being used by SI and CB chapters. IK had actually made it all dynamic and set up databases on Surfriders servers so that it could be administered by the chapter members. They never fully had a grasp of it and it wasn't the easiest to use so it was rarely updated and from what it looks like SurfGuru re-built it as a static site keeping the overall look and feel.

As for the compsands, I've got one built in my head down to the last detail, and even have a fridge compressor in the garage to use as a vacuum pump but haven't had the time to pursue it. Yours was the only one I've actually seen in person, and still think it's an extremely valid concept and have the perfect shape for one - 6'0" by 19 3/4" x 2" with a concave deck. I still have some really cool 1/2" thick plywood fins that I made with Future bases that I still need to glass and mold the Future bases onto. So many projects, so little time...

I've had 3 Coils over the past 2 years and have been really stoked with them. Latest one isn't a Coil but was glassed by Richie Buehn with the same glass schedule, just not vacuum bagged. Has a 1.5# core, so it's super light. Would still like to experiment with the whole compsand process though.

Anyways, I appreciate the offer of the membership, but it's wasted on me. I'm more than happy to give my time where I can.

Pegasus

• Ancient Psycho
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »

:flamethrower: phoresia  :flamethrower:

Lawless you are a Surfrider by doing what you do.

Thanks for your setting up the Surfrider template, and many thanks for your offer to help.
The paypal raffle is a example of your helpful thinking.

Our paths will cross in the near future.

Jun

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »

Would the Cocoa Beach Chapter be interested in giving a presentation to my Home school Group's Surf Club?

I had Jim Maclaren give a safety speech last year and the kids were very stoked, parents, very scared. (ha ha!)

I don't run it but my friend Marcie would love to have a group come and chat with kids about responsible citizenship through the eyes of surfers.

Pegasus

• Ancient Psycho
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 05:09:46 PM »

Heck yes...
Young voices for the future.
Let me know !

Jun

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »

Heck yes...
Young voices for the future.
Let me know !

I'll PM you with Marcie's E-mail.

nuttjelly

• Lizard Lover
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 08:18:55 AM »

I'm gonna start up the PAFB Surfrider "Tables Chapter" and SMOKE ALL all you BUSTERS!! Now how do I start it and not let anybody know where it is  :think1:
Pages: [1]   Go Up