16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Shralp Up Paddle?  (Read 30764 times)

jt

• Administrator
  • :-)
Shralp Up Paddle?
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 10:55:18 AM by jt »

ccb_dan

• has something to sell you!
  • I'm too old to appreciate modern surfing
Re: Shralp Up Paddle?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 11:28:16 PM »

Those guys were crazy as hell dropping into those waves.  The crowd factor definitely makes it dangerous but I'm stoked on those guys for getting some waves.

i am hollywood

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:24:57 AM »

lewis is hilarious. he makes some very valid points and he obviously  knows what he talking about. i googled him and theres an interview he gave a few years back, apparently hes a really really good surfer as well. its good to have a cynic in this culture. the power rankings he did was a trip too

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:18:56 AM »

He was one of the writers for surfline, and he made a pretty bold post about the head of billabong taking a crew to Tavarua masking it as a "business trip". Anyways, they canned him for that but he isnt relying on the surf industry for a paycheck so he can say whatever the fuck he wants. Its awesome... Minus the fact he does have a thing against "floridiots".

shadow

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:49:31 AM »

I like his take no prisoners style.

funny shit.

Aloha_FL

• Aloha & God Bless \m/
  • Global Moderator
  • www.NKFsurf.com
    • NKFsurf
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:54:10 AM »

OMG ~ someone is a HATER   :o

Funny they printed that, but w/ due respect ~ you can get hurt doing almost anything.  Heck, I twisted my ankle once trippin over a crack on the sidewalk ... yea, I'm a clutz   ;)

As of October 3, 2008, the US Coast Guard now classifies SUPs as vessels and as a result SUP riders are obliged to wear a personal floatation device when paddling in certain areas.  Whether this will affect the continued take up of stand up paddling in the USA remains to be seen.

Here's some interesting history  :fishy: :fishy:

Stand up paddle surfing (SUP), or in the Hawaiian language Hoe he'e nalu can be traced back to the early days of Polynesia. The first stand up paddle surfers emerged in Waikiki in the early 1950s, when the post-war tourism boom saw Matson cruise liners deposit thousands of thrill-hungry Americans on the beach under the shadow of Diamond Head.

In the early 1960s, the Beachboys in Waikiki like Duke and Leroy AhChoy, started standing up on big surfboards, using long paddles to maneuver.  The sport benefits athletes with a strong 'core' workout. The renaissance of SUP can probably be tracked to a long summer flat spell in 2000, when serious watermen like Laird Hamilton and Dave Kalama on Maui and Brian Keaulana, Mel Pu'u and Bruce De Soto at Makaha, seized on the idea of paddling their tandem boards as fitness workouts. It didn't take them long to realize how much fun this aspect of surfing could be. In 2004 Brian Keaulana introduced SUP as a division at his father's famous surf event and party, Buffalo's Big Board Classic at Makaha.  It was hugely popular, got major media coverage and the seal was broken.  SUP was up and running.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:56:53 AM by Aloha_FL »

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 07:54:19 PM »

a good video from that day at the wedge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeL1KJepYps

kikstartmyheart3

• Global Moderator
  • FYM
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 01:12:31 PM »

i didn't realize that many footboarders charge the wedge.

i can dig on the SUP layback barrel though.

i am hollywood

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 01:16:43 PM »

ccb_dan

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 01:30:46 PM »

I met a guy out last weekend who was on a SUP, he said he hasn't ridden a "regular" surfboard in like 5 years.  He charges the big SW and NW swells on his SUP.  Safety aside (because there is a clear safety issue when those boards are flying around) I have to give respect to those guys for surfing waves that big on those things.

big rick

• I can surf, see?? like a kook www.rmdstudios.org
    • RM design studios coming to a recycle bin on your PC or Mac. I can't wait :D
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »

i would... why not?

then again, they don't serve cheese burgers at the wedge so i have no reason to go

i am hollywood

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »

i would... why not?

then again, they don't serve cheese burgers at the wedge so i have no reason to go

bahaha.... :bandito:

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 02:32:28 PM »

I have no respect for it, its kooky to even say they are charging on SUPs. That guy got his lunch handed to him.

Eric G

• is always getting banned.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 02:40:44 PM »

I hate those things. Esp. At NSI. I can't see those going over well at sebastian.

I want to get a jetski and do tow ins/ats all over their asses. Tripping them up with the rope, etc.

ccb_dan

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 03:03:57 PM »

I think they would be a blast in the right conditions...I wouldn't try what these guys were doing but in the right setting I think SUP-ing would be fun as hell.

I think the old adage applies here...ride what you like and be cool in the water.  If these guys want to ride huge waves on SUPs then go for it but be respectful of the other surfers, whether they be shortboarders, longboardeers or even...gulp...bodyboarders (just kidding Lani and Alien!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up