16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Shralp Up Paddle?  (Read 30758 times)

jt

• Administrator
  • :-)
Re: Shralp Up Paddle?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 03:13:12 PM »

read my tagline ;)

In my opinion, it is no different than someone doing tow ats on the outside. They obviously will catch a wave that does not even break. If you want to ride one, this is america, by all means do it. BUT be prepared to get heckled /  toyed with.

Last sunday this guy was at head high inlet and I watched these guys trying to knock down this SUP. One of them eventually got in the way, and he fell, one of the guys got off of this board and pushed the guy's SUP board in front of the wave and it got washed in. I was like, YES!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:25:37 PM by jt »

kikstartmyheart3

• Global Moderator
  • FYM
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »

would you paddle around on an SUP during a nice, flat, glassy day for the exercise value? i know i would.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »

I would do it on a flat day. It seems appropriate. That is basically my contention with these guys doing it here. The last really big swell, SUPs only got outside because they paddled through the inlet, then around to the outside of the waves.

kikstartmyheart3

• Global Moderator
  • FYM
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 03:31:16 PM »

The last really big swell, SUPs only got outside because they paddled through the inlet, then around to the outside of the waves.

that's lame.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 03:35:15 PM »

its really easy to do considering how short the jetty is there....

ccb_dan

• has something to sell you!
  • I'm too old to appreciate modern surfing
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 03:43:56 PM »

Ok, that is lame...I mean if you can't make the paddle out then you really haven't paid your dues to ride the waves.  Just my opinion.  I still maintain that if everyone woudl just respect each other regardless fo vehicle we'd all be fine.  The same (or at least similar) argument you are making JT could be made towards longboarders in general...I mean it's no secret that a LB can catch waves further out and way earlier than most other short boards but yet we seem to coexist with them on some level.  Why can't an SUP'er act similarly?  Catch waves but also share a few.

To be honest, since i have been in Cali I have had more people back off waves and "give" them to me than I ever had in FL.  Yes the overall crowd factor is higher but I have experienced more etiquite here than in FL...for the most part.

Eric G

• is always getting banned.
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »

They would be great for surfing micro-waves where there is NO ONE else surfing. But they surf at chest+ crowded ass breaks, so everyone hates them.

There was a guy on post-surf talking about mounting SUP's/ I'd have killed to see that happen, JT

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »

Ok, that is lame...I mean if you can't make the paddle out then you really haven't paid your dues to ride the waves.  Just my opinion.  I still maintain that if everyone woudl just respect each other regardless fo vehicle we'd all be fine.  The same (or at least similar) argument you are making JT could be made towards longboarders in general...I mean it's no secret that a LB can catch waves further out and way earlier than most other short boards but yet we seem to coexist with them on some level.  Why can't an SUP'er act similarly?  Catch waves but also share a few.

To be honest, since i have been in Cali I have had more people back off waves and "give" them to me than I ever had in FL.  Yes the overall crowd factor is higher but I have experienced more etiquite here than in FL...for the most part.

Yeah but I think there is the skill of timing the wave and paddling for the waves when you LB. I know sometimes people get pissy over LBs too. I respect LBs, they do have an advantage, but the SUP? 30 inch wide board, 4 inches think or more eek

SUPs and kayaks have their place.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »

yeah EG people were fed up. I think a couple waves and youre done. That guy wore out his welcome with like 4 waves that I saw while I was taking a break.

I wouldnt have done that but I will say I did take pleasure watching him swim in after his board.

kikstartmyheart3

• Global Moderator
  • FYM
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 03:14:57 PM »

the poles today.

Ballerina

• grom
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »

Shortboarders are lame.
1 out of 50 are fun to watch.
Way more dangerous than any other surf craft.
Worst attitudes in the water no matter where you go.
I've been injured several times by a shortboarder. Never a logger.

Shortboarders = false sense of entitlement.

Shortboarders are not the majority, they only receive the most press.

There are two kinds of surfers.
A.) Surfers who love surfing and would do it alone.
B.) People who want to be popular and would barely consider surfing alone.

90% of shortboarders are B-Class

Shortboarders are the new hodads. The kooks. The barneys.
If your a majority shortboarder, I think your probably a :meteor: fuckin kook.

i am hollywood

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 06:31:16 PM »

Shortboarders are the new hodads. The kooks. The barneys.

RoosterJaws

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 06:34:59 PM »

Makes sense to me. I shortboard but you won't find me anywhere close to the spots you imply.. Unless kook reef is considered which I know you surf there too. Guilty as charged!

Eric G

• is always getting banned.
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 09:01:27 PM »

I surf alot of the name spots, because the waves are generally better there. But, I surf completely by myself in mel-beach or the streets / cape Canaveral when its big and choppy.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 10:04:29 PM »

^^ jump on the logger bandwagon why dont yas!? stroking the log I see :smack:

Im sure Ballerina is a really good SU Paddler (its nothing personal), but even the best guy is not the most entertaining thing to watch. It maybe fun to do, but its not fun to watch in terms of the argument just made (vs shortboarding). That is why pros dont get the coverage. Shit, the WCT gets poor coverage even in comparison to all of the other professional board sports. Thats just a fact of life.

Opinions are the only self entitlements anyone has. Especially on a surf forum. Do whatever is good to you in life.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:12:44 PM by jt »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up