16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: rethinking afghanistan  (Read 6737 times)

JAS1

Re: rethinking afghanistan
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 09:02:57 AM »

I was being somewhat sarcastic with that shroom cloud comment.

I want them out but I don't think losing the war is going to help us.  I don't care what Al Qaeda likes/wants. They have no creditability. They are a terrorist group who are responsible for the deaths of 3000 Americans. They oppress women and children. They should be dealth with and any retreat would be a sign of weakness that hasn't been seen by this country. You like being able to type on the computer to anyone about anything? Thank the ones who died for this country just as much as you would who lived.

Stoop

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 09:24:03 AM »

no doubt they are responsible for thousands of american deaths, but I don't think it's right to be over there because we don't like how their culture treats women and children.  That was the american policy for a long time until recent years.  I also do not personally believe sending more troops over there, that have the chance of losing their lives, is the right way to deal with the problem

IMO it's smarter to show weakness and leave to save more lives then to stay and fight
 2cents

JAS1

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 11:26:30 AM »

You really think showing weakness save lives? Are you really thinking about what your saying? Weakness  is exactly how those mothaf---ers got on airplanes and flew em into the twin towers killing 3000 Americans. The strong is what got the one plane down before it killed more people then it did. I'm all for peace but weakness will never defend a country against inhumane people that want to destroy anything and everything in it. You really need to research Al Qaeda. These aren't flies. They just won't go away.

Stoop

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 12:14:43 PM »

Well, I think if you look at what al-Qaeda and other extremist organizations that are anti-American say—and this is pretty well documented—they have a view of the world in which the United States and other countries have been interfering in various illegitimate ways in what they regard as their own homelands. So, you know, one of al-Qaeda’s main grievances was the American military presence in Saudi Arabia. Another one of their grievances is what they regard as one-sided American support for Israel combined with Israel’s occupation of Palestinian lands. So they have a narrative in which it is Western and, in particular, American interference that justifies them taking various actions against us. One doesn’t have to agree with their view to recognize that that’s what the motivation is.
Now, it seems to me that the more you increase the Western and American presence in places like Afghanistan, and conceivably also Pakistan, and the more we are engaged in trying to sort of restructure their societies along lines that we think are appropriate, the more we play into the narrative that they use to try and attract support and recruit people in Afghanistan itself. And one of our challenges is to find ways to advance our interests and advance some of our objectives without actually making the job harder for ourselves. It seems to me that the larger the American footprint is in that part of the world, in fact, the more difficult we are likely to make our task. And I think the record of the last several years suggests that.

taken from here http://www.democracynow.org/2009/8/25/the_safe_haven_myth_harvard_prof

Maybe it's just me but I believe a professor of International Affairs much more than any politician that wants to stay in office or the news media that just tries to scare me. 

Eric G

• is always getting banned.
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »

To be honest, I'd rather see their country blasted to smithereens than another 5000 US troops die in that shit hole.

Is that the answer? No. Is it the right thing to do? No. Would I care if it happened? No. Would they give a fuck if someone killed every single person on this message board? No.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Should have kept your thoughts to yourself.

Same to you. Because you go along with what is acceptable in society today, its the 'in' thing to be compassionate toward those people and their situation. Do I want them all dead? No. I personally just don't care what happens to them.

RoosterJaws

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 07:10:44 AM »

^^ You realize how many troops we have over there Einstein ? Blowing the place up sounds like a great idea Darryl  :flamethrower:

jt

• Administrator
  • :-)
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 07:36:30 AM »

Realistically speaking why nuking would never happen... the vast amount of money put into their infrastructure, like a huge oil pipeline, will never go to waste. Also, certain places there have fiber installed for internet communications now (thanks to us and our tax dollars, its another way we can watch them).

Oh yeah and... its not possible to nuke them because they are a mountain range, it logistically would not work. Thats the problem with afghanistan in general: they are like moles all spread out amongst the mountains. Its like the punching the gofer game at the arcade. It would be like dropping a bomb just to see what it would do to the ground.

Watch that movie, charlie wilson's war. The book is better "the story of the largest covert op in history"... Im telling ya, we are like russia in that plot.

This is how our government ruined the bikini atoll (im sure theres surf nearby)

Pegasus

• Ancient Psycho
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 07:55:33 AM »

I have manufactured and partcipated in testing the Trident D5 Submarine launched missle.

Our saying (without a southern accent inflection) was...

"24 Empty tubes and its Miller time."

I guess my opinion is we have a right to bear arms...big ones. I would use it if needed. Make no mistake.

Kinda like the big guns we have in our houses...

Note...instead of killing them all and letting god sort them out.
         I prefer to sort them and then kill them and send them to god.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:58:22 AM by Pegasus »

Lani M

• NeeD A LiFe GuArD...MiNe WaLks On WaTeR...
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 10:27:26 AM »

Realistically speaking why nuking would never happen... the vast amount of money put into their infrastructure, like a huge oil pipeline, will never go to waste. Also, certain places there have fiber installed for internet communications now (thanks to us and our tax dollars, its another way we can watch them).

Oh yeah and... its not possible to nuke them because they are a mountain range, it logistically would not work. Thats the problem with afghanistan in general: they are like moles all spread out amongst the mountains. Its like the punching the gofer game at the arcade. It would be like dropping a bomb just to see what it would do to the ground.

Watch that movie, charlie wilson's war. The book is better "the story of the largest covert op in history"... Im telling ya, we are like russia in that plot.

This is how our government ruined the bikini atoll (im sure theres surf nearby)

check out dat ship standing straight up from da explosion....YIKES...

Lani M

• NeeD A LiFe GuArD...MiNe WaLks On WaTeR...
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »

I remember my 4 years in the navy on the uss birmingham (ssn 695)...a LA class nuclear submarine...

when I first reported there...they didn't have enough bunk space and instead of hot-racking...they brought 5 or 6 matress' in the torpedo room where I slept maybe 10 feet from "subroc's" aka cruise missles (nuclear capable)...YIKES...

McTiki

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 11:31:36 AM »

Considering that the muhajadeen (Now Taliban war lords) wiped out the Soviet forces deployed there for many many years, and were bolstered by the Carter and funded and further trained by the Reagan Doctrine, I find it dificult to image any "Victory" manifesting there. It will be a slaughterhouse/meat grinder for years to come. Throwing more bodies at them is not the answer. The US being there is not the answer. Predator nightly missions may be the better option over time. (They can carry Hellfires now...Wooot)

But, I'm sure our Government will make the right choices.

kikstartmyheart3

• Global Moderator
  • FYM
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 11:47:49 AM »

To be honest, I'd rather see their country blasted to smithereens than another 5000 US troops die in that shit hole.

Is that the answer? No. Is it the right thing to do? No. Would I care if it happened? No. Would they give a fuck if someone killed every single person on this message board? No.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Should have kept your thoughts to yourself.

Same to you. Because you go along with what is acceptable in society today, its the 'in' thing to be compassionate toward those people and their situation. Do I want them all dead? No. I personally just don't care what happens to them.

oh fuck man, you totally nailed it. i can't believe i am so easy to read!
what a fool i am, conforming my views about foreign policy so i can feel "in" with society.
bravo, EG, you have certainly cast light upon my naive ways. 

in my defense, i do it mostly for the chicks.
my opinion on foreign policy pulls more pussy than a motherfuckin' ferrari.
forget your tired, old pick up lines. next time you are talking to a chick;
let her know how much you love terrorists, how you want to cuddle them like furry little kittens,
and how you want to lead them away from evil and teach them the ways of peace and kindness.
THEN WATCH THE PANTIES DROP LIKE FUCKING FLIES.

end sarcasm.

this thread is about reTHINKING afghanistan, not being ignorant about afghanistan.

the reason you don't care is because you don't know shit about what you are talking about.

so i'll make it easy for you.

Quote from: McTiki
Considering that the muhajadeen (Now Taliban war lords) wiped out the Soviet forces deployed there for many many years, and were bolstered by the Carter and funded and further trained by the Reagan Doctrine, I find it dificult to image any "Victory" manifesting there. It will be a slaughterhouse/meat grinder for years to come. Throwing more bodies at them is not the answer. The US being there is not the answer. Predator nightly missions may be the better option over time. (They can carry Hellfires now...Wooot)

Quote from: Pegasus
I guess my opinion is we have a right to bear arms...big ones. I would use it if needed. Make no mistake.

Kinda like the big guns we have in our houses...

Note...instead of killing them all and letting god sort them out.
         I prefer to sort them and then kill them and send them to god.

now tell all your friends.

love you.
 grouphug

jt

• Administrator
  • :-)
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »

my opinion on foreign policy pulls more pussy than a motherfuckin' ferrari.

HA! too funny.

RoosterJaws

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 12:55:26 PM »

I seem to be doing pretty well and I haven't the first clue about foreign policy! Dead horse in 3,2,...

McTiki

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 01:15:47 PM »

I seem to be doing pretty well and I haven't the first clue about foreign policy! Dead horse in 3,2,...

One in a year? That ain't pullin baller....

P.S.     I love my new sig. Thanks Kik
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up