16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dogfish Head IPA 90 and IPA 120  (Read 6575 times)

Mikeee P

Dogfish Head IPA 90 and IPA 120
« on: December 23, 2009, 09:12:49 AM »

What: Dogfish Head IPA 90 and IPA 120 (International Pale Ale) or (India Pale Ale) or (Imperial Pale Ale) depending upon who(m) you talk to. Most settle on "Imperial Pale Ale" from what I can see...

Also don't let the name "Pale" mislead you. This is a darker beer with a very nice carmel color to it... these two beers couldn't be more disalike, unalike, 180 degrees, north and south, rebel and yankee... you'd never know the same brewery made them!

First I tried the Dogfish Head IPA 90 and it was an intense, hoppy, tart beer, much like any strong maybe (dare I say it?) German beer... good, but definitely strong coming in at about 10+% alcohol. After looking all over the net about the 90 and 120 I discovered that apparently since these are batch beers the alcohol content by volume can vary, they rate them low to be safe... rumor has it the IPA 90 is actually 12% and the IPA 120 is actually 22-23%... The IPA 90 was one of those few beers that I've had that literally made me feel like "Tim Allan" from Tool Time. I sorta wanted to grunt his "Unghhh Unghhh Unghhh" while drinking it. It gave me a "manly" I'm "tough" feeling haha. No joke, this is a cool beer. As you're drinking it you're thinking "This really doesn't taste that good" but as you're drinking it you're thinking "This stuff is kick ass!" because you're remembering the alcohol content and the fact that "manly men" probably drank beer like this back in the day  hahaha. I could see some Viking swilling this stuff... at the current price (which isn't too bad) of just under $10 per 4 pack at Sunseed Co-Op you tell yourself in your head "This is expensive for beer" then you remember that a beer at Sandbar or any local pub is about $3-$5 per beer for Budweiser... suddenly your brain realizes it's not so expensive for what you're getting!

So without all kinds of connoisseur knowledge, I'm speaking laymenís (laymanís?) terms here. I like the stuff. After a couple you start grooving on it and even the strong flavors make beers I like such as Michelob Amberbach taste like GIRLY MAN beers (think Arnold Schwarzenegger during his prime!). I'm far from a beer snob, but I'll not only be dropping back by Sunseed Co-Op to pick up some more before Christmas, I might pick up a couple to give to friends for Christmas - with a warning that they need to maybe drink a dark beer first and then keep an open mind that this is REAL beer! Two thumbs up, I dig it... in a tart sorta way! LOL

Dogfish Head IPA 120
Foremost regarding the IPA 120 - this is not a beer like anything you've have ever had before, unless perhaps some of the other "extreme" beers are like this?

On Dogfish Head's site they show two diff ABV's (alcohol levels) for this beer. One is 18% and one is 20% alcohol. So to me that shows that the fact that they are rumored to be 22-23% might just be true!

I casually glanced at some reviews of the stuff, but didn't want it to taint my impressions so I sorta just skimmed over them. First... the guys out here calling themselves "connoisseurs" on the internet - for the most part are "Beer Snobs" there is a big difference to me. They're arrogant and full of themselves as well as full of that other stuff. Most gave good reviews, but their descriptions were enhanced by the acid they were taking or something...

This beer was placed in more of a brandy glass. The "skimming over" of the reviews stated it was more like liquor (lik-koor) than beer. They were right. First sip "WHAT IN THE HECK IS THIS???" That statement was in a good way, but more like an unknowing child getting his first Grape Nehi! Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself (showing a little too much enthusiasm to early for the 120 I think!). I poured the beer straight down the middle of the glass so it slapped the bottom so that it could foam and have a nice aromatic head.... "Hmmm self. There's no head at all! It's like it's flat." So I thought I'd check out the aroma. I'd been waiting for that moment......

Let me back up a week or so. I sat on this beer for about oh...... 2 weeks waiting for the right moment to try it. I mean it's not every day you pick up an $8 something dollar 12oz beer with 20+ percent alcohol so I wanted to "enjoy" it properly. I waited, and waited, and waited... the anticipation was a bit like a kid looking at his stocking on Christmas knowing there are chocolates and candies in there but he can't have them until... until... until... that precise moment when it's time. Then it's nearly overwhelming... so I was really looking forward to trying the IPA 120! The anticipation for me was part of the fun of trying this beverage! I was so primed by the time I tried it that... well unless it tasted like prune juice I was probably going to find something favorable to say about it - no need for that though, it won me over all on it's own!

I fell asleep early one evening and found myself awakened at about 4:30am in the morning... sun would be up soon. Man what is going on I'm a bit disoriented... can't believe I fell asleep at 8 o'clock... what to do - what to do... nobody around. Wifey type unit is asleep... have a new video/DVD sitting on the shelf... have that beer I have been coveting in the fridge... yeah man it's 4:30am I just woke up, nobody is around ITS TIME! -big grin here at 4:30am because I knew it was Christmas day and I was going to get to try my IPA 120 that Mr. O'Hare so helpfully found for me on the shelf...

The video sucked. Don't ever rent something something 100 days girls holding out on guys something something. See, I can't even remember the name of the video. I just kept sitting there going "This isn't going to get better". Usually I'm the "positive guy" watching bad videos going "I know it's going to get better, I know it's going to get better" but within about 5 minutes, I knew it wasn't going to get better. What I can remember is the IPA 120 though... where were we.

Ahh yes, 4:30am I joyfully poured it into this big beautiful glass that I had prepared for this moment. Not quite a jelly jar, not quite a pilsner glass... ahh yes a MILK glass like every mom in America has in her home. That'll do just fine! Seriously I used a rounded, open style glass almost like one for brandy.

The beer poured as flat as some of my past girlfriends chests! (not true I like knockers). Absolutely no head. Nothing, nada... I waited, I stared at it. I sorta growled at it to see if I could intimidate it into having a frothy head... nothing. So... I gently swirled it and waited, waited, waited... and a nice smooth inhale... Guys I grew up on an 1100 acre citrus grove. The smell was exactly like oranges just starting to "turn" as my dad used to say. They weren't bad yet, but they were getting there. The "connoisseurs" all came back with fruity, hoppy, nutty... yeah they were nutty alright. It smelled like oranges just starting to "turn" which isn't a bad thing, it just smells like citrus a bit. Okay I can live with that. PLOD-PLOD-PLOD I headed over to the couch to plug in the video that I had high hopes would offer at least a 3 on the entertainment value scale... hey what's this a big head on my beer, where in the heck did that come from?!!! It's almost as if the "beer foam ferries" (can I say that in a public forum?) did something magical in this few steps from kitchen to couch. There was this nice creamy little head on the beer. I swirled it up the side of the glass let it dribble back down and I'll be darn... that looks just like an angel in the foam. That's a good sign. Taste the foam - note to self, don't taste the foam. Taste the beer. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS??? Ahhh flashback to when I was about 5 and had my first grape Nehi on a hot Florida day... hey.... what the heck isssss this? A few more sips and suddenly I'm like a little kid eating jello for the first time. Sorta playing with it. If you swallow it normally you get one flavor. Inhale lightly after taking a sip you get another flavor. Don't inhale or allow any air in after a sip and you get another flavor. Whoa... that's kinda warm... that's kinda sweet. That's kinda tart. That's kinda... like sherri or brandy or something - I dunno because I don't drink either one of them but this sure isn't like any beer I've ever had before. Wow... one 12oz bottle lasted me 90 horrible minutes of some lame movie. It also lasted me 90 fantastic minutes of enjoying one beverage... imagine if someone took something like a brandy that's smooooth, warm... and added some fruity tastes to it. Welcome to IPA 120. I like it!

Dropped by last night to pick up another bottle and unfortunately didn't have my wallet on me. Walked back out to the vehicle to get it, and wife type unit was in a panic because she had to wrap and box 14 presents to send to her family unit in New Hampshire. So I left without getting my nectar.

Beer man was there as I was talking to Sean O' and when I mentioned IPA 120 he sort of laughed and said something like "Girly man beer" at which we almost had to throw down. There was a good loaf of some type of Italian looking wheat bread close enough by that I think I could have taken him out with one well placed shot! You don't tug on supermans cape, you don't spit into the wind. You don't pull the mask off the old long ranger and you don't mess around with slim! (I'm not slim so yes you can call me "slim"). And don't mess with my new kick ass beer... excuse me, they only make this three times a year so don't purchase any either. You see, I'm now a "beer snob" and I only drink IPA 120! Okay-okay I'll only drink it with my buds on a special occasion. It's not a "chugging GO PHINS!" type of beer. It's a "Oh hell, wifey is having over the friends I'll sit around, smile a lot and drink my IPA while I hand them Budweisers!" haha Those poor misguided fools...

Oh IPA 90 - Good stuff. Tart, not everyone's cup of tea. I dig it. Makes me want to fist fight, or do something macho like work on my Camaro that's up on blocks in the drive way (I don't own a Camaro).

IPA 120 - Unlike anything I've ever had before called a "beer". More like some kinda cool liquor, or wine or... I dunno. Maybe it's a whole new category of spirits?

Oh and note to self. If you wake up at 4:30am and haven't had anything to eat or anything and drink an IPA 120... you might just have visions. That stuff is strong! One is enough to give you a nice, warm, comfortable buzz! I went back to sleep after the horrible movie and felt like a baby that'd just suckled on his mom's teet! I slept well...

Oh and in closing, I wouldn't bother to ever purchase the IPA 120... they only have a few left and well I consider that mine! And I did purchase the Italian Bread so I'm an armed man now!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:43:03 AM by Mikeee P »

Mikeee P

Re: Dogfish Head IPA 90 and IPA 120
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »

I know you guys know that Sunseed Co-Op has a fantastic selection of beers... but this is where I picked up the Doghead Fish IPA's.

Great freaking beers. More fun than bubble gum!

Please don't purchase the IPA 120 though, no more will be made this year and they only have a couple bottles left...

RACE YA!

Peace...
Mikeee P

slopsurfer

• My site
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:25:31 AM »

it's india pale ale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Pale_Ale  wonder if i could smuggle some local brew across in Jan???

Mikeee P

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:33:15 AM »

Right on Slop... I kept checking and kept seeing different things. I did see they had a video of them making the beers on their web site - I shoulda checked it. I'm sure they used the correct terminology.

Next on my list is more of the Dales that Sean O' let me try... very smooth.

Oh and I hope you guys weren't offended by my reference to the "flat head" on the beer. Just feeling a bit humorous... so ladies forgive me. I love girls that are big, small, round and tall... (whatever that means).

Mikeee P
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:36:42 AM by Mikeee P »

shreaded

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:45:06 AM »

the DFH 120 is wwaayy too hoppy for me.

brandonroland

• sevendaysoff.com
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 09:36:16 AM »

you fuckers kill me. $9 for a beer? my mind has officially been blown..

brewer

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 10:38:08 AM »

You must have used a pea shooter to blow that little thing.

brewer

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »

I casually glanced at some reviews of the stuff, but didn't want it to taint my impressions so I sorta just skimmed over them. First... the guys out here calling themselves "connoisseurs" on the internet - for the most part are "Beer Snobs" there is a big difference to me. They're arrogant and full of themselves as well as full of that other stuff. Most gave good reviews, but their descriptions were enhanced by the acid they were taking or something

Lets not start rocking the boat here buddy, Because you will be the first to fall out.

brandonroland

• sevendaysoff.com
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 11:27:24 AM »

who are you again? oh yeah a beer fag cashier  :D

brewer

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 11:43:42 AM »

HAHAHA Im not a cashier.

brandonroland

• sevendaysoff.com
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »

HAHAHA Im not a cashier.

hey I know plenty of cool cashiers, its okay.

brewer

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 02:42:01 PM »

HAHAHA Im not a cashier.

hey I know plenty of cool cashiers, its okay.

Well whatever you do must be pretty good, becasue I know your not getting paid to be a douche bag.

big rick

• I can surf, see?? like a kook www.rmdstudios.org
    • RM design studios coming to a recycle bin on your PC or Mac. I can't wait :D
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »

it's india pale ale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Pale_Ale  wonder if i could smuggle some local brew across in Jan???

slop, yes you can!

my sister did it when she was over there....

she brought back some st. peter's IPA

im waiting for the right moment in time to drink it

Brewer - damn son! thats a pretty freakin good come back.... don't let the inflation of Broll's head get to you.... he makes $5 more than the next guy and all of a sudden $8+ beer and wine that cost more than $6.58 is out of control but auto tune and midgets that do something something are cool

brandonroland

• sevendaysoff.com
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »

why does how much i make have anything to do with thinking paying $9 for a beer is ridiculous, which btw; it is.

If thinking that paying $9 for a beer makes me a douchebag then so be it. You're all still beerfags.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:47:22 PM by brandonroland »

big rick

• I can surf, see?? like a kook www.rmdstudios.org
    • RM design studios coming to a recycle bin on your PC or Mac. I can't wait :D
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »

Hey, you're the one that puts pictures of you holding $X000 folded on the interwebs.... Not me

Do you think that paying more than $5 for a meal is too much too?

People are fed the crap (beer in this case) that's made in quantity without quality and truthfully it sucks.... Just look at all the main stream cRAP music that little wayne and midget douche make (or whatever it is the 3' nothing does) but people think its cool because its... Well its shit really

But what do I know? I'm just a "beer fag"

If someone told you paying $30 for that little bit of weed was stupid then you might just understand

edit: misspelled words because i was replying on my phone
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 06:14:49 PM by big rick »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up