16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beach Clean Up Stats  (Read 3289 times)

ccb_dan

• has something to sell you!
  • I'm too old to appreciate modern surfing
Beach Clean Up Stats
« on: February 08, 2011, 07:58:50 AM »

I get the San Diego chapter newsletter since I attended their meetings while I was in that area.  Here's some interesting statistics on their cleanups in 2010.

SurfriderSD and San Diego Coastkeeper conduct twice-monthly beach cleanups throughout the county to address the issue of trash in our oceans and on our beaches. So far, we have successfully completed more than 150 beach cleanups. In January 2007, we started collecting information from data cards distributed to volunteers. This data helps us to identify and share information about major pollution sources in San Diego. For example, in 2010:

* Six of the top ten items found are composed of plastic, which is less dense than seawater and therefore floats. These items take a long time to break down in the marine environment and pose a significant threat to wildlife.
* We finally saw a decrease in the number one item, cigarette butts. Even though smoking is illegal on beaches, our volunteers hit the parking lots and streets, collecting more than 40,000 butts from area beaches.
* Expanded polystyrene (aka Styrofoam) pieces skyrocketed from 12,000 in 2009 to more than 25,000 pieces in 2010.
* We collected 9,000 plastic bottle caps, instead of letting seabirds eat them.

ccb_dan

Re: Beach Clean Up Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:00:47 AM »

I find it really interesting to see what the pollution issues are in other areas as it relates to our area here. 

I think we can learn a lot from areas like southern CA.  Obviously they have greater issues than we do simply due to population but they way they manage it can be very educational even to a smaller chapter such as ours.

shadow

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:18:42 AM »

Organized beach clean ups are great but if we (as individuals) just picked up a little section of beach or a park all the time that would even be better. 

It's easy, just bend down and pick the stuff up.  Takes less time than going to a meeting to talk about it.

Not trying to be a dick, just sayin.

RoosterJaws

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:21:14 AM »

Isn't there an old saying about pick up three pieces of trash every time you go to the beach? If everyone did this I'd imagine it would make an impact.

shadow

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:34:55 AM »

That works pretty good but this works better.  Pick a spot, any spot.  Bus Stop,  a stub end street, a park, the side of the road, preferably somewhere you enjoy being and go to often.   Now,  each time you visit, pick up the trash (especially the ciggy butts) and soon you will feel a sense of ownership  that will make you want to keep "your" section of park or whatever it is clean and well kept. You might need a few suppplies like  some trash bags, some gloves and maybe a broom.  I'm sure some of you are already doing this.

ccb_dan

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »

I couldn't agree more. 

I've long considered 11th street to be "my spot" and try to take care of it as such.  In fact this weekend my daughter and i are doing a little rehab work down there to clean up the place a little bit.

jt

• Administrator
  • :-)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:47:51 PM »

I just pickup trash whenever I come back in, wherever I see it. Which is all the time on a beach where people drive. :)

brandonroland

• sevendaysoff.com
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:52:52 PM »

I just pickup trash whenever I come back in, wherever I see it. Which is all the time on a beach where people drive. :)

this is what i do. my hands are usually full by the time i get to the parking lot.

RoosterJaws

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »

That's what I was sayin. Normally you don't have to venture far to look for trash on the beach.

Pegasus

• Ancient Psycho
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 09:10:50 PM »

Thank you for the good words.
I recently had 100 trinity prep students walk the beach from the pier to Coconuts.
We cleared the beach of 50 large bags of litter.
Surfrider Cocoa Beach has many clean ups....Funny thing we don't talk trash at our meetings.
Huge difference in the act of doing vs the act of talking...
Trash talking is fun. It makes you feel good. Picking the shit up makes you feel better.
Meeting this Tuesday at surfinista @ 6pm.
I can talk trashy to you if you come...it will make you feel good... especially the way I say things.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:14:28 PM by Pegasus »

ccb_dan

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »

I'll be there.  That's a nice venue for the meetings.  Muffin, coffee, sit back and listen to the meeting and try not to get caught up in the surf flick playing on the TV!.

big rick

• I can surf, see?? like a kook www.rmdstudios.org
    • RM design studios coming to a recycle bin on your PC or Mac. I can't wait :D
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 03:34:32 AM »

saw some people in orlando flyering up the streets... literally

instead of giving away these flyers to people, they were just dropping them on the street

i said something to them and they gave me this look like "yeah, shoot me now cause i don't care"
and i just picked up all of the flyers off of the ground....

it was annoying to see people just doing it with out a care in the world

ccb_dan

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 07:16:55 AM »

That blows big time man.  People can be real shits sometimes.

On the other hand I am stoked to say that I walked from 11th down through the southern streets and found very little trash on the sand.  I'm sure up by the pier is a different story but at least the south streets are clean!

big rick

• I can surf, see?? like a kook www.rmdstudios.org
    • RM design studios coming to a recycle bin on your PC or Mac. I can't wait :D
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 11:32:13 AM »

good times!

i've been wanting to clean up university blvd from
dean to rouse on both sides of the street but thats
gonna take quite some time and a few trash bags im sure

jreed

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »

why that particular stretch of university rick? My old college stomping grounds. It would take a shit ton of garbage bags too!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up