16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it really that big of deal?  (Read 7907 times)

jt

• Administrator
  • :-)
Is it really that big of deal?
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:58:21 AM »

That being, radiation contamination....

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/28/radiation.us/index.html

I mean, we have set off nukes on our own soil. We destroyed islands in the pacific, etc. etc. Anyone want to provide an educated answer?

big rick

• I can surf, see?? like a kook www.rmdstudios.org
    • RM design studios coming to a recycle bin on your PC or Mac. I can't wait :D
Re: Is it really that big of deal?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »

yeah it is
japan is being irresponsible
and although we actually find more radiation within marble,
bananas, plane flights, and a few other things; japan's situation
is actually going to do more harm than anything that we have
ever done on earth.

think about what happens if those four reactors meltdown...

radiation is already getting into the ocean and is in the air and
although i can't say that i will be cancer free for my entire life
i wouldn't want anything to accelerate it by any means.

they need to pour concrete into those core reactors and forget
about trying to save them for future use and take into consideration
the rest of the world.... quit being selfish

9AMdp

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:38:04 PM »

The radiation detected is beta decay of 131I.  Has a half life of 8 days and it's just at the detection capability of the instrumentation now.  Not a big deal at this point. 

In a risk managment sort of view, you're probably (almost certainly) worse off from going to the beach this past weekend and soaking up UV. 

Rick, they gave up on trying to save the damaged reactors when they started pumping seawater.  Undamaged reactors may be reuseable but that remains to be seen.  Three Mile Island Unit 1, not Unit 2 - the one that melted down, is running to this day. 

nuttjelly

• Lizard Lover
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »

Big Rick and another expert captured on video discussing how to solve the radiation and plutonium crisis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JmA2ClUvUY

Walker D

• pe-exam.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 02:39:51 PM »

LMAO

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 03:17:09 PM »

^^hahahahaha, thanks NJ.

"Just a typical conversation in Washington.."

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »

The radiation detected is beta decay of 131I.  Has a half life of 8 days and it's just at the detection capability of the instrumentation now.  Not a big deal at this point. 

In a risk managment sort of view, you're probably (almost certainly) worse off from going to the beach this past weekend and soaking up UV. 

Rick, they gave up on trying to save the damaged reactors when they started pumping seawater.  Undamaged reactors may be reuseable but that remains to be seen.  Three Mile Island Unit 1, not Unit 2 - the one that melted down, is running to this day. 

Yeah. As I suspected, sensationalistic journalism.

nuttjelly

• Lizard Lover
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »

I stole that from somebody, somebody.

big rick

• I can surf, see?? like a kook www.rmdstudios.org
    • RM design studios coming to a recycle bin on your PC or Mac. I can't wait :D
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 05:10:44 PM »

Yeah. As I suspected, sensationalistic journalism.

you don't think japan is being irresponsible at all?

granted there is a spec of whatever in the air, yet there are large environmental
consequences that will follow if things aren't done soon.

this isn't the first time this country or surrounding areas have turned a blind eye
towards the negative impact they have on the environment.

this whole situation is fucked up

9AMdp

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 06:39:24 AM »

Irresponsible?

I think they're responding to the situation as best as they are able. 
I think they've minimized the effects under incredibly difficult circumstance
and more than a few very brave and dedicated folks
have risked their lives and health to do so.

I can't think that's irresponsible; unless,
it's simply irresponsible to have the plants in the first place,
in which case the pot is considerably blacker than the kettle. 

Walker D

• pe-exam.com
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:12:27 AM »

you don't think japan is being irresponsible at all?

Dude are you serious???  Do you have any idea what that country is facing at the moment??

brandonroland

• sevendaysoff.com
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »

it is a VERY big deal. Iodine isnt the only isotope that's leaking. We're talking plutonium, uranium, etc. Some of which isotopes used in nuclear fission have 1/2 lives of over 4 billion years. The iodine and cesium are the least of our worries. Look up Chernobyl and see the area that was made uninhabitable to this day, then look at a map of the area of TEPCO power plant in japan and you tell me what happens to japan if that thing goes full meltdown.

If they can't get it under control and radiation levels continue to rise they will be forced to evacuate. when that thing is left on its own it will go full meltdown and japan will be fucked. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worse.

brandonroland

• sevendaysoff.com
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:15:36 AM »

The radiation detected is beta decay of 131I.  Has a half life of 8 days and it's just at the detection capability of the instrumentation now.  Not a big deal at this point.  

Rick, they gave up on trying to save the damaged reactors when they started pumping seawater.  Undamaged reactors may be reuseable but that remains to be seen.  Three Mile Island Unit 1, not Unit 2 - the one that melted down, is running to this day.  

you're only talking about iodine though. thats just what they've found in the OCEAN outside the plant. In the storage water at the plant they're finding all kinds of isotopes leaking directly from the core. In the soil they're finding the heavier isotopes. Maybe swimming in the water is about as bad as going to the beach here, but that is the least of the worry.  this situation is very serious. It wasnt iodine that bruned holes through rubber radiation boots and took the skin off of those workers feet. The water is not suppose to be radioactive (inside the plant). It is a CLOSED system that utilizes water to cool, then the water is pumped right back out to sea. The core is now leaking, all of the electrical conduit is filled with radioactive water over 100,000 times the recommended exposure limit (and its not just iodine in that water). How can they restore power until they get that shit out, and where do you put that massive amount of water containing all of these isotopes?

this is a very serious situation and not sensationalized at all. People dont understand the hazards of nuclear fission until something like this happens. Its not a stable process, it cant just be shut down.

brandonroland

• sevendaysoff.com
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 09:20:04 AM »

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »

I read there is a shut down process where they insert something into the reactor to stop the process, but the issue is, it takes forever to cool down. AND who knows what state the reactor has to be in for that to happen.

Also - 3 mile island.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up