16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitey!  (Read 2936 times)

RoosterJaws

shadow

• Administrator
Re: Whitey!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »

oooohhhhh shit!

They're gonna need a bigger boat.

big rick

• I can surf, see?? like a kook www.rmdstudios.org
    • RM design studios coming to a recycle bin on your PC or Mac. I can't wait :D
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:15:44 PM »

that video went up 1000+ views in the past five minutes
that video is going viral and someones gonna bank off of that vid
i need to get on the you tube and start making some money

Walker D

• pe-exam.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:13:23 AM »

You can hear him drop the f-bomb when the shark swims out of view.

RoosterJaws

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:24:16 AM »

I would of had a heart attack. Looks like the shark is swimming right for him when it first
comes into sight.

Walker D

• pe-exam.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »

Coming from someone who has dove a few times in zero visibility, there is no warning when something big approaches you out of nowhere.  Shadows that move in on you in murky water are always eerie.  I can't imagine how he felt when he realized it was a GW and then it swam out of site.

It takes a pretty long time to ascend from a 170' even if you are diving tri-mix.  You are suspended in the water column for a long time. Basically, floating bait for that type of shark.

jt

• Administrator
  • :-)
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:20:35 AM »

Yep, he was there for the long haul. Thank god for nitrox!

This guy is insane. He has balls, I give him that much! I barely like diving in clear conditions. haha

Impressive shark! I could hear him take in a huge breathe! haha he does say something too!

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »

As from Walkers' post awhile ago from that fishing forum; they are out there! Maybe few and far between but they are there. I always wonder why we do not see a lot of big Tiger Sharks shore side like in other warm water beaches. Tiger Sharks worry me.

Walker D

• pe-exam.com
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »

I always wonder why we do not see a lot of big Tiger Sharks shore side like in other warm water beaches. Tiger Sharks worry me.

Me too!  Guys catch them from shore more frequently than one would expect but you almost never ever see/encounter big sharks (ie. Tigers) when you are surfing.  In all honesty, I would expect a fatal attack from a big tiger shark at least every so many years in central FL but it never ever happens.  They (big tiger sharks) are much more common than people think but for whatever reason they tend to avoid attacking people. Kinda weird considering what they have been known to do to people in Hawaii.

nuttjelly

• Lizard Lover
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 12:30:35 PM »

Tiger sharks by instinct do not hunt surfers in FL as there are no waves in FL.  :surfgod:

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »

Time for a government research grant, Dr. Nuttjelly??

Thesis: Tiger sharks aggresive nature is increased as the size of the surf becomes bigger...thus why the Tigers attack more in Hawaii.

Real reason for the research: Hands on "field testing" in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Barbados.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »

...dont forget hammerheads!

nuttjelly

• Lizard Lover
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »

The most dangerously fierce shark in FL waters is the "Peanut" mostly a loner, but on occasions the grouping of many are known as "Ship Floaters" they pack a punch. And disguise themselves as waste on cruise ships. When released in masses, beware to all.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 08:27:07 AM »

lincoln log sharks?

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »

I did have one encounter with an extremely large fish and thankfully it was seen by a lot of people. We used to have team practices behind the old Cocoa Beach Natural Art back in the day and on this one day it was dreary and overcast. We did our run and then started to run heats. We were having a four man heat and I only remember Damon George and Terry Bailey in the water along with a fourth person. Terry caught a wave and Damon and I were sitting out the back. Damon was further out than I was. Suddenly, he whipped around and paddled up to me with the most terrified look on his face. He paddled straight up to me and said, "I just saw the biggest shark that I have ever seen in my life and it is right there!" and he began to point out to where these waves were coming in. I did not see anything. I asked where and he kept pointing, "There! There!". Then this wave came up and at the top I saw this very large tail come up and start to move from side to side. I could make out some of its body as it was rolling through the unbroken wave and it was way bigger than anything I have seen in the water before. I was stunned because I could not grasp what I was seeing. I just knew I had to get the hell out of there! So we started paddling in and then I thought about Terry. Terry is deaf and he was probably paddling out and he would not know if someone was yelling to him. When I came to the inside I saw Terry in the shore. I was literally just laughing as I came to the shore because of the rush of adrenaline. Greg Dooley and the others on the beach saw it too. Practice cancelled.

We sat in N.A. talking about it and I walked over to the Patrick's Deli to get something to eat and in the chairs there was that group of guys that used to ride their surf skis down by Taco City. I heard one of the guys say..."I can not believe how big that was..." So I said "You saw that shark too, huh?" They said they did and they described how it was just cruising to the north-where our practice was.

I don't know what kind of shark it was or how big it was...all I know was that it was big!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:50:54 PM by steve »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up