16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sam rivers  (Read 1159 times)

big rick

• I can surf, see?? like a kook www.rmdstudios.org
    • RM design studios coming to a recycle bin on your PC or Mac. I can't wait :D
sam rivers
« on: December 27, 2011, 01:01:44 AM »

he passed away earlier this evening
:(
i was able to see him live at the social a few years back
it was unbelievable how AMAZING his music was
and the stage presence... nothing crazy, but he definitely drew your attention

big rick

Re: sam rivers
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »

there is a special event tonight at the social

http://www.thesocial.org/event/86459/

Rest in peace, Sam Rivers
Deaths, Locals — posted by jimabbott on December, 27 2011 11:01 AM
Discuss This: Comments(0) | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it
The Orlando music community — and jazz lovers worldwide — are mourning the passing of Sam Rivers, who died Monday night at age 88.

You can read my piece on Sam’s death here. It’s being updated as I continue to get observations from those who worked with Sam and loved his music.

“Music was his life, music is what kept him alive,” said his daughter Monique Rivers Williams of Apopka, who also handled her father’s concert bookings and learned from him the joy of making music. “My father, in my eyes, was on vacation all his life. He used to tell me, ‘I’m working, but I’m loving every minute of it.’”

---------------------

Sam Rivers memorial concert set for Wednesday at the Social
Locals — posted by jimabbott on January, 3 2012 10:49 AM
Discuss This: Comments(0) | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it
There could be no more fitting way to honor the life and career of Sam Rivers than with music.

Rivers, the world-renowned jazz icon and longtime Orlando resident who died on Dec. 26 at age 88, will be memorialized on Wednesday with a performance of his music by  the Rivbea Orchestra at the Social in downtown Orlando. Admission is free and the show will start at 9 p.m.

Chris Charles, a saxophonist who played in Rivers’ ensembles consistently since the early 1990s, expressed the feelings of many in the Orlando music community about Rivers and his music:

“Sam was family to me and to my family and it’s going to be a great loss,” Charles said. “There’s not much I can say about Sam’s prolific influence on the musicians in this town.

“To say he’s a jazz musician isn’t enough because he transcended whatever people think jazz is. Sam was a true maestro of music, whatever that is. He gave Orlando some musical validity. I know from traveling to New York with him that a lot of the players up there were jealous.”

The musical tribute will be preceded by a 7 p.m. memorial service at A Community Funeral Home, 910 W. Michigan St., Orlando.

big rick

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »

and now i can't go to anything this evening
bloody hell

consultrelkins@hotmail

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »

Just saw this. Never hit the music forum before. Anthony Cole and Sam are good buddies of mine along with Mr. Jeff Nolen of Joint Chiefs whom I went to JR High sch with. One of my fondest memories was of me playing in the house band at Hard Rock Orlando in about 1998 and I was playing covers in the Cafe while the Orlando jammies was going on hosted by Jeff at Hard Rock live just on the other side of the Kitchen. I walked out to get something out of my car back when I had my own space behind Nickjr by the dumpster behind Hardrock, don't even leave a french fry in your car or you'd have roaches all in your car. LOL..And Anthony Cole who was playing drums for Sam that night yells, "HEY RICH", I respond, NO WAY. He and Sam Rivers are about to spark a joint and perform at the Jammies at Live, and they invite me to smoke out in the circle of just a few key bros.What an honor What a night. High as a mutha for my next set in Cafe and hangin out the rest of the night with an allstar cast of the coolest cats on earth, basically Sam Rivers, Anothony Cole and Jeff Nolan all fucking night. A dream come true for a top 40 o-ville drummer. That guy was bad ass on sax and the coolest dude of all time. RIP brother. :angel1
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:15:10 PM by consultrelkins@hotmail »
Pages: [1]   Go Up