16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A Republicans' views on the crazy welfare situation!!!  (Read 2758 times)

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
A Republicans' views on the crazy welfare situation!!!
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »

I did not want to derail Dan's post, but it somewhat ties into his.

My wacky Brazilian fiance is online so I will return to see if anyone has started ranting like a crazy person since I see this all the time on Facebook. It is funny because normally peaceful people that I thought were level-headed seem to be turning into members of the gestapo.

To start it off, I will say this really quickly. My notes are from ground zero. Explanation coming soon!

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
Re: A Republicans' views on the crazy welfare situation!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:31:53 PM »

First off, without collecting on property taxes and other goodies, obviously our state is not having a good day. One subject that is brought up frequently is about the government being fiscally prudent.

My friend is in the highway patrol. His troop is in Volusia County. After the birth of his second child, he grew tired of the fact that he was a high-ranking member of the troop and he had to do off duty work to get by. So he left and went into real estate. Which as we know, ended up tanking.

Before he retired, he was in charge of a decent sized team and several new hires joined the patrol. After the real estate office seemed like it was going to tank, he was forced to re-join the patrol. When he re-enlisted, he was once again at the back of the line of seniority. 3 years later, he is still at the back of the line. This is because all of the new hires that joined before he retired the first time are gone. Everyone who has joined after he came back is gone as well. They are barely getting raises.

So think of this and a major car accident. Now you have a problem...who is responding? My friend was sent to Miami to stop the riots. My friend worked the train derailment up by Palatka. This is the state police.

At the moment, my "duty" has been to work with people at a local food pantry/employment agency. I have been also doing another interesting job which is helping people apply for Access. After I help out the clients, I have been writing a little note about each one. These have been my last 5.

Female. 68. White. Widow
Female. 64.  African American Single
Male.     53  White  Single
Male      49  African American  Single
Couple   23 & 25  Hispanic  Moved to area from New Jersey
Couple   24 & 27  White      Moved to area from Ft. Lauderdale

This is your face of people who are on welfare.

One of the questions on the form is how much money you have in your bank account. The first lady has 27.00 in her account. If you had 27.00 to live off of, one would think that you would need some assistance pretty quickly.

The reason I am writing this all is because of people who jump up and down screaming about drug testing people before they receive Access. Who is going to pay for this? The lady with $27.00? Is the government going to pay? Think of my friend in the patrol. What about the teachers and the state of the local schools?

I quickly noticed a common thread between all of these people and this is going to guarantee that even more people will fall off the ship. We take many things for granted. For almost everyone on this forum, we see the computer as a trusty tool. It helps us. It is fun for us. For them, it is a monster. It is guaranteeing that they stay on the cycle of welfare. They do not understand keywords in a resume, using Linkedin, or even being on Facebook. Many do not own a computer. Many do not even have an e-mail account. I had one client gush for 5 minutes because I created an e-mail account and they had never had one before. One of the two older ladies worked as a nurses aid for years until the nurses began to carry hand helds and the testing system went online. After the changes, she just quit her job.

Drug testing is not the answer. This will further sink our ship. Part of the answer is training a segment of society that is being left behind by our friend the computer. My only hope is that at some point, some ding bat in Tallahassee will figure this out.

nuttjelly

• Lizard Lover
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 06:43:06 AM »

There are some people out there that are good people down and out that need help. With government assistance come hurdles. There are also people out there that take advantage of the system and have money to buy, sell, and or use drugs and have no intention on finding a job to support themselves. Those people need to be tested to get them out of the system and direct those monies to the ones you speak of.

9AMdp

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:45:56 AM »

Just 2cents on computers.
I'm on the continental divide between two geologic era of computer use.
The didn't exist when I was in undergrad, did when I was in grad,
(if you remember floppy discs and real DOS) and are ubiquitous now.
I work with a quite a few well educated folks, Ph.D.s, who are not computer friendly.
They're typically slightly older than me, still use the Department admin assistant or
grad students to do Powerpoints, can't install software and can't get around a spreadsheet.
The reason I post this is that Steve's point is important. 
The guys I work with are fine, they've got support. 
The folks in Steve's post don't.
It's like they on the wrong side of a divide.
Not good.

ccb_dan

• has something to sell you!
  • I'm too old to appreciate modern surfing
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:07:46 AM »

Interesting post Steve.  It's probably quite different in the big city (Orlando) as you likely see more folks that are down on their luck and could use a helping hand.  Here on the beach I mostly see bums that don't seem to care whether they ever get a job.  I think there is a distinct difference mind you, as NJ said, there are good, honest people that need assistance to get through a tough time...then there are bums.

I see both sides of social assistance programs, I support the able bodied person who is down on their luck and has a family to take care fo that needs some help but obviously I don't support the Octomom that keeps having more kids so she can collect more Government assistance.

Take for example the situation I saw at the Sunoco in CB earlier this week...I'm waiting in line to buy a Coke and the couple in front of me have arm loads of snacks (total garbage food too...but that's besides the point) and they whip out an EBT card to pay for it all.  No biggie, that happens a lot.  But I glance down and both are wearing like new Birkenstock sandals...which typically cost ~$75 or more.  Then I glance at my beat up, falling apart flip flops and I think...damn I'm doing something wrong.

9AMdp

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:26:55 AM »

Ye're never gettin' accepted to
a decent commune with those slippas.
 ;D

jt

• Administrator
  • :-)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »

2 stories about welfare / disability / entitlements. Ill keep them short.

1. When I went to daytona beach for jury duty back in april, I had to sit with the riff raff. This woman, who had a friend with her and of her 6 kids. They were talking about their business out loud, mostly talking about not having money... then she pauses and says, "well das why we gon have nother keeid". The guard watching the lobby was shaking her head in discontent. As was I.

2. My friend's brother from cocoa beach. He got in trouble years back and the brevard co. sherrifs in cape can tackled him while he was on his bike, and broke his arm. Anyways, he recovered. Never got another job. Said his arm and shoulder is in too much pain (its total bs). He sits around smokes dust, ice, meth, whatever the fuck its called. Anyways... I ran into him and he tells me how he has applied for disability and some other fucking entitlement program, of which he got approved for. So while I type this, he is right now fucking off smoking dust on your tax dollars. You may see him riding his bike on A1A! :)

I dont think drug testing is a bad idea. The issue is, people like this^^ ruin it for the rest of them. Is that my fault??? No. Is it my responsibility to take care of them? No. This is a product of people abusing the system. There isnt enough cheese to go around. Which also is not my fault. I just have issues paying taxes to enable these people!

nuttjelly

• Lizard Lover
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:19:33 PM »

The EBT cards should only be able to purchase the staple items in the grocery store.
If you want soda, cookies, chips, candy, and a nice rib eye...break out your wallet or do without.

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »

My next topic will be abortion!   :P

First off, I do know obviously there are idiots out there that are abusing the system. But, there are many who are not. So with the problems in our state, how can we balance the budget and add more pressure on the government to monitor a population of the state?

What does the system do for these people? It gives them a check. They do not learn anything, get a GED, learn a trade, learn to use a computer, or have an end date to leave. They just join and are given enough to scrape by. A pretty lame system in my opinion. If we are in a depressed economy, why not pay the people to do some kind of work in order to get a check? Learn to fix the county vehicles, clean the streets, and people who are unemployed business types can work in some offices. At least they could learn something. A person who is disabled like your friend, jt, can be given a nice chair (reasonable accommodation) and can shred paperwork or stuff envelopes at the county office for 8 hours. People that hate work will weed themselves out of the system.

9AMdp

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »

Euthanasia.
This is a suggestion for Steve's next topic selection after abortion,
Not a Solution!
 :soapbox:

Actually, there are a lot less of these
since China's one child policy.  ;D

So, back on topic,
are we proposing a
"to each according to their need,
from each according to their ability"
sorta thing?
 ;)

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 03:19:37 PM »

Think about how much would be saved if they could weed out the riff raff with drug testing.

Which costs more: drug test, or paying a human being to live and not be productive to society?

Im failing to see the negative in this logic! :)

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 03:34:16 PM »

Child slave labor to harpoon whales for state money!!

9AMdp

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 05:25:23 PM »

Kids these days?
At least the whales would be safe.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 06:28:18 PM »

Sorry, I was playing devils advocate. :)

Everything is in dollars.

9AMdp

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 06:54:37 AM »

No apologies, no worries.
Probably because you guys know and respect each other
but this is an unusually civil place to dissect this topic.
 :D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up