16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: American Top Team Space Coast  (Read 2890 times)

big rick

• I can surf, see?? like a kook www.rmdstudios.org
    • RM design studios coming to a recycle bin on your PC or Mac. I can't wait :D
Re: American Top Team Space Coast
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »

If it is anything like where I used to train,
what usually happens is a bit of warm up,
learning a new maneuver, going through the
routine of trying out said maneuver with a
partner, then sparring and working on technique
while your instructor oversees.

jt

• Administrator
  • :-)
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 01:29:25 PM »

sounds cool

ccb_dan

• has something to sell you!
  • I'm too old to appreciate modern surfing
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 02:03:52 PM »

Exactly like Rick described.  BJJ doesn't really do routines or Katas.

A typical session will be:

*Warm up
*Instructor demonstrates new technique (i.e.: submission, escape to said submission, counter to said submission)
*Drill with partner
*Grapple (trying to utilize newly learned technique)

Grappling is my favorite part.  It's essentially wrestling but with submissions (normal wrestling is pins, not subs).

ccb_dan

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »

JT...what is the story behind that pic you posted on FB?  I know you do Kung Fu so do you do weapons training as part of it or is that a whole different thing?

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »

Weapons are a part of the training after a couple of years of learning the foundations. The snake spear on FB is outside of the normal weapons training though. I have been doing that in private training sessions for the last month because I was selected to learn it. The basic weapons are the fan, flute, staff, and broadsword. Then all of the other chinese weapons are taught after you have shown some level of long term commitment. Things like the spear, snake spear, kwan dao, 2 and 3 sectional staff, gim (straight sword), chain whip (like on kill bill), double broadsword, monk spade, twin hooks, double daggers, twin axes, and army sword. There are more, I just cant remember them all. There are literally about 30 different types of traditional weapons.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »

Theres a high turnover of people in KF, because its a lot of exercising and endurance training. We have days where we do not do anything but core training w kettle bells and stuff like they do in cross fit. We do self defense stuff too but not at the level of BJJ, but we do joint locks and a lot of ways to disable attackers. Its never the same thing every day. You could show up and start doing 100 pushups or sparring or weapons, you never know.

ccb_dan

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 02:38:38 PM »

That sounds rad!  I bet it's a blast learning the weapons and stuff (not so much the core workout!).

Yeah BJJ is primarily a ground fighting art....there is a Japanese version of Jiu Jitsu which I think is more influenced by Judo and incorporates more throws and stuff.

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 08:13:15 PM »

Thats cool. I always wondered the exact differnce of the 2. Do they do forms and weapons in regular Jiu Jitsu?

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 11:16:55 PM »

When my son was really, really young; we enrolled him in a martial arts class. A typical one and it sucked. It seemed that every few months he was promoted and we kept having to buy more and more crap along with his new belt.

When he was in Jr. High, we put him in Kung Fu. He was not crazy about at but he did it and it was pretty intense for him because at the time he was small. IMO, it was far better than anything else I had seen. He was not being promoted for the sake of moving him on and the routines seemed more sound. In fact, I immediately caught on to what they were trying to teach him and I noticed how many of the poses are similar to core and balance exercises.

Anyway, it is cool to see your posts with you all training. Who knows...maybe one day for me.

ccb_dan

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 05:46:44 AM »

Yeah, not to offend anyone because I know there are plenty of legitimate Karate practitioners out there, but many times martial arts promote people based on how long they have been training, not on skill or knowledge. 

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu on the other hand, while they do have a belt ranking system, only promote when skill levels are demonstrated not only to the instructor but to the instructor's superior and often through competition.

As I think JT mentioned about Kung Fu....I like the idea of no belt system at all and just having levels of knowledge.  The weapons training JT is doing sounds so cool.  I would love to see some demonstration videos or something.

ccb_dan

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 05:50:47 AM »

Oh and Steve....BJJ is an incredible workout for anyone of any age.  My daughter does it and she's 9....I do it and I'm 43.  If you have the time you should check out a BJJ gym.  There is a great one in Maitland.  The owner/head instructor is a super cool guy named Tommy Wales.  He is a high ranking black belt who has competed at very high levels.  He comes to my gym in Cocoa Beach every few weeks to beat us up!  :)

Aumakua Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
168 Lake Avenue, Maitland, FL 32751
Phone:(321) 284-6012

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 09:37:37 AM »

Oh I know where that is! Thats like 5 minutes away from the kung fu studio I practice at.

ccb_dan

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 09:53:49 AM »

That's cool.  I have never been to his gym but sometime I would like to go and train over there.  You should stop in some time just to check it out.

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 12:50:17 PM »

Thanks for the info Dan!

jt...I think you belong to the same group my son was a part of. He just went to the smaller one on the east side of town. Wah Lum Temple?

jt

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 01:08:22 PM »

Yep! Same place! I dont practice at the temple, I go to the other studio with sifu George. The temple is way too far from Volusia!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up