16streets Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

16streets.com bringing you the report now for over a decade!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MacLaren's Stories.  (Read 930 times)

seadragon

• grom
    • Crafty Surf!
MacLaren's Stories.
« on: February 11, 2016, 11:16:21 PM »

This must be something I will never understand. I hear all this "Aloha" and "Ohana" crap being tossed around, but it's really all about who you know, and quien-es-mas-macho. It's the same office politics/high school bs everyone wants a break from, I thought.
Ride flawlessly, or don't show up- just in case anyone's there watching and judging. Yay. Let's surf. 😬

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
Re: MacLaren's Stories.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 08:48:35 AM »

Good points.

I just fish out what I like. The guy can capture some amazingly mundane things and use it to capture a big picture. That takes a lot of talent.

As for other aspects...I feel the same. But it is us as humans and surfers. The Ohana and soul crap. Surfers are pretty selfish for the most part. We hug and cry for kids in surf schools and disabled surfers learning to surf then turn around and ridicule the new folks two months into their journey as being kooks and not worthy of being in the water at our spots. Even in the 60s, you can watch lovely videos of Dora kicking his longboard at people which if one can not recognize as being dangerous then you should not be surfing at all.

So yeah, I just tune out what I do not like and try to be nice to people in general. All one can do.

On a side rant...Driving to me distinguishes who is an a-hole. If you are a pro driver, you are on a course and getting something out of it as in points and a trophy and a whole lot of money. The daily commuter gets absolutely nothing. So when faced with choices...Do I let this person merge in? Do I create space between myself and the car in front of me? Most do not do this and actually create the bad traffic that we all suffer through. For what? Their egos. They are basically adult children.

9AMdp

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 09:36:11 AM »

Ohana means family
and that means
that you get to choose your friends
but not...

Well something like that.
 ???

ccb_dan

• has something to sell you!
  • I'm too old to appreciate modern surfing
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:42:55 AM »

Some humility on the front page today? 

We all have days where we kook it like a total newb and other days where we think we might be able to hang with the guys on the WSL (OK, maybe not so much but you get the idea).  I think at the end of the day we have to be able to tolerate others and have a good laugh at ourselves.

Don't take it so seriously, OK?

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 09:36:22 PM »

He is pushing the boundaries of what we call Noveau-trash Kook Photography.

RoosterJaws

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 12:52:37 PM »

What I don't get is why does he constantly go there, take pics, and bitch? Like people who go there to surf and bitch about the crowd. There's plenty of spots with talented surfers to take pics of. These guys are back in Pittsburgh and have no clue they are being made fun of anyway.

seadragon

• grom
    • Crafty Surf!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 08:16:39 PM »

The pictures in the latest story are terrifying (including your Zoolander pose).
I went to Oahu and Maui when I was 10, and I loved the islands- kicked Mickey's ass. Now that I surf at a reasonably pathetic level, I wish I could go back to try Waikiki. I'll have to live vicariously through pictures and the interwebs, boo.  ;)
Thank you for sharing your stories- those waves look magnificent.

seadragon

• grom
    • Crafty Surf!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »

I watch these Hawaiian contests and watch the surfers bounce off the face chop and hang on like a cowboy. I have no doubt that the chop Maclaren experienced that day at Sunset was bigger than most days I'll ever dare cross the boardwalk for around here.
If I was going to meet my end, I'd bet that would be a beautiful view from the top of one of those waves. Problem is, I'd like to be standing on the board for it for maximum enjoyment, and I'm afraid I'd be in the flail position from the get-go.
Guess I'll settle for the vicarious route- thanks Wanker. I mean MacLaren.

seadragon

• grom
    • Crafty Surf!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 08:31:17 AM »

So, damn, over 40 feet? Yeah, I'm surprised you crawled out of the ocean too with the rest of the primordial ooze.
I think many forget that stupid wankers were taking on huge waves way before there were drones, GoPros, and Nike deals. I'm not for encouraging reckless behavior, but any post experiment data is always interesting to review and analyze.... 👍

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 09:50:48 AM »

I was looking at the pics on the front cover and kind of pondering how surfers are. We go ga-ga over people learning to surf for their first couple of times. Then...KOOK!! Get out of here because you are screwing up my experience!

Kind of funny how fast the shift comes.

ccb_dan

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »

Yeah, I dunno but I think it has a lot to do with who you know.  I mean if you know someone who knows a local legend then you get a lot of leeway, if not then....well you don't get crap.  So much like it is in the corporate world....it's "who you know"

slideaway

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 06:44:43 AM »

Yeah I totally agree. Like, when I was learning to surf at 11th street I never caught flak because I knew a local legend there -- ccbdan!

ccb_dan

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 06:56:57 AM »

Ha ha!  Marty is the real 11th street legend.

Chappy Jennings Army

• The Sidewedge
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 09:47:57 AM »

But is he respected all the way down to 9th Street...This is the age old question!

big rick

• I can surf, see?? like a kook www.rmdstudios.org
    • RM design studios coming to a recycle bin on your PC or Mac. I can't wait :D
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 10:00:12 AM »

i love being called a kook
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up